How much did it cost yall to remodel your kitchen?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
vvzz
Been here a while

Re: How much did it cost yall to remodel your kitchen?

Post by vvzz »

Did a complete kitchen remodel at the other house. Total was right about $10k. The work included completely demolishing and rebuilding the floor(joists rotted in brick pockets), complete rewire, new plumbing, all new cabinets(IKEA), all new appliances(cooktop, oven, dishwasher, fridge) The only thing that I hired out was plastering. (Here in Boston plaster over blueboard is the norm) Best $200 I've spent - had a neighbor mexican guy do the plastering in one saturday afternoon.

Besides labor, the biggest savings were CL appliance finds. Got cooktop and oven(kenmore elite, unused) together on CL for $1200, used Bosch dishwasher on CL for $200. But splurged on new counter depth european style fridge($1200)

I think all those $60k-100k kitchen remodels are ridiculous. Of course if you hire a general contractor and then a special trade for each little step, the costs will quickly spiral out of control(especially if you uncover hidden problems) Everybody will have a markup on all materials, not mentioning their labor. But if reasonable cost is someone's goal, I see no reason to take charge and manage everything yourself(even if not handy or confident enough to do most of the work yourself)
IMG_1739.jpg
IMG_1739.jpg (823.35 KiB) Viewed 818 times

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

I would also like to steer you(and anyone else) away from freestanding stoves. I honestly don't even understand why are they still so prevalent. A cooktop is so much easier to keep clean(since there aren't any gaps or cracks around it) Also looks so much better than an ugly giant appliance.

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

You could find some great deals at the builder's surplus stores with one caveat - you need to know how much things are worth before you go there. Sometimes those places are sneaky and make you think you are getting a deal when you are paying as much or more than you would elsewhere. Sometimes those places have amazing deals - but you've got to be patient with going several times to look as inventory comes and goes. Also - there may be cabinets with odd measurements so what there is may be not quite enough or 5" too long or whatever, so you need to be flexible about your plans with regards to color, door styles, etc. I don't know if they make you buy one lot, so you may be stuck with more than you need but these can be used in the laundry room, etc. Definitely make sketches with ALL your measurements, then measure once more to be 100% sure before you go looking.

Personally I think many of today's appliances are way oversized, for no good reason. A 24" stove will cook as well as a 30" unless you need the extra space for 4 giant cauldrons on the burners at one time ? I really like the counter depth fridges as they give a neater look to a room than a giant boxy fridge jutting out in the way ?

My mother had a late 50's Inglis electric stove where the burners slid out of a type of drawer, with two built in ovens. By the late 70's she had to have it fixed many times, and it was a real headache. Due to styles changing, she could not find a new replacement built in with the same dimensions. I think my father would also not spring for a kitchen reno, which would have needed to happen if that oven/stove was removed. This is why I am leery of built in cooktops and ovens ? I have no clue whether the dimensions for these things are now standardized ?

I 've had great luck buying vintage and antique lighting, furniture, etc. from CL, etc. Again - you have to know what the thing is worth before it becomes a bargain or rip-off. If you are close to Atlanta there are probably some amazing scores to be had on your local CL, due to the run off from wealthy people and their endless reno's.

One thing you haven't mentioned with your reno is lighting ? You can find a bargain light on CL, but it's absolutely worth spending the $$$ on a professional electrician. Task lighting - over your stove and over the sink really improves a kitchen.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

You might consider Mr Seconds if you have one near you for cabinets. They will design the layout for free with you, and even the less expensive cabinets are wood boxes (plywood, but wood-not particleboard). I had plywood cabinets for years with no issues. Particle board, I am leary of and won't buy things made from it. It's just not durable imo.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

vvzz wrote:Did a complete kitchen remodel at the other house. Total was right about $10k. The work included completely demolishing and rebuilding the floor(joists rotted in brick pockets), complete rewire, new plumbing, all new cabinets(IKEA), all new appliances(cooktop, oven, dishwasher, fridge)

Vvzz, I LOVE the flooring you chose! Hope to do something similar here one day. Also, those sleeping cats... way too cute!!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Seabornman
Settling in

Post by Seabornman »

I remodeled our kitchen last year for less than $6,000, exclusive of appliances, so yes it can be done. It is about the same size as yours. All labor by me except for countertops. Took it down to studs and joists, new insulation, all new wiring and subpanel, LED lighting, granite tops, Home Depot cabinets, subway tile splash, stainless sink. I left existing flooring.

The granite tops were not much more than laminate ($39/sf plus sink prep - few granites to choose from at that price). The HD cabinets were from their in-stock line - shaker style doors: somewhat limiting in sizes and configuration, and yes, they are particle board boxes (hardwood fronts), but we're happy with them. The splash is 3x6 white subway tiles from Lowes I think - not expensive. The LED can lights work great, put them on a dimmer. The hardest part was fixing all of the problems caused by previous work - dangerous electrical, sloped floors, out of square, leaky walls.

Good Luck!

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

No offense intended, but this is a bit like asking how long a man's legs should be... Long enough to reach the floor.

Having just completed a kitchen remodel there are so many variables, it's hard to give a reasonable answer. Really, the best guidance is to make sure your remodel is appropriate to the house, both in design, materials, and cost. I don't think you should put more than say 10% of your home's value into a kitchen remodel.

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

I'm going today to put the final order in.
I'm so excited!

I'm going with shaker cabinets and quartz counter tops.

Im going white for the wall and base cabinets with a gray island.

I just hope its within budget :D

The quartz I like is $48 a sqft, so I think with cut outs and tax it will be around $2300..

But I still have no idea on the cabinets :/

I know shaker is the "in" thing now, but Im hoping it will be a timeless look in a folk Victorian, even after the fad phases out.

What do yall think?

20161129_151829.jpg
20161129_151829.jpg (544.46 KiB) Viewed 765 times

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

Just got our estimate in.
It's going to be over $8000. :o

The cabinets themselves are almost $6000.
I'm double checking with our friend to see if that's his estimate or the companies.

If it's his I think i can order something of equal quality for around $3k, They just have to be put together.

Has anyone ordered cabinets and put them together?
I couldn't imagine it being more than put screw "A" in hole "1", just a little time consuming.
But then again, I've never done it.

Has anyone here?

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

SarahFair wrote:Has anyone ordered cabinets and put them together?
I couldn't imagine it being more than put screw "A" in hole "1", just a little time consuming.
But then again, I've never done it.

Has anyone here?

Do you have IKEA nearby? They have few cabinet styles that are fairly classical looking. Plus their hardware is top shelf as well as cabinet build quality. They are particleboard, but are very strong and exceptionally precisely made. I would relay consider it before any other RTA cabinets.