Choosing doors

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Mick_VT

Re: Choosing doors

Post by Mick_VT »

Reversing the swing of interior doors is easy, you simply patch in and recut the hinges. If you are painting the doors you would never know it had been done, if you are varnishing or similar, you just need to be neat, you will see the patch, but barely so long as the hinges are in the same place as in the original configuration.
Mick...

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

I think I'm going to go for it, and buy these two matching doors today (1835) for my upstairs bedrooms:

The swing on one has to be reversed and they are a touch shorter than the doorways, but I think it'll work.

The two bigger doors I bought for downstairs look like the plainer side of these doors.
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

They'll look like they grew there!

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

You went to the right place at the right time to find 4 doors for your house in 1 weekend! That's some great luck. How many more do you still need to replace?

Seeing your pics, I realized I have the same door style as you (2 vertical panels) throughout my first floor. I find it interesting since we have very different aged houses and locations.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

More than one weekend...I've been spending every free day at salvage places for over a month. Most of the time I feel too overwhelmed and nervous to buy anything. But I guess feeling pressured forced me to make some decisions.

Here are my doors for the first floor:

These two doors match, and the panels are recessed on both sides (unlike upstairs where one side is raised and one side is recessed).

I also decided this door (in a little rough shape) would make a pretty good door for one of the little closets upstairs:

It needs to be cut down a bit, but I think it will work. It has the raised panels on one side and recessed on the other.

I think the two vertical panels were used during other time periods/architectural styles, but I've noticed that newer ones feature a little more fancy millwork.

Thanks for the encouragement!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan