History v.s. Bad Taste

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
kelt65
Stalwart

Re: History v.s. Bad Taste

Post by kelt65 »

Sashguy wrote:Yep, born in my neighborhood in 1950 and must admit that having watched it as a poor neighborhood, and now seeing it as a wealthy neighborhood, the poor may have neglected things a bit, but the rich are downright demolishing it.

Same here. There's a flood of out of town, very, very rich people buying up all the properties here and they are absolutely wrecking the interiors, and painting the houses beige. (they were decidedly Caribbean in color style before).

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

The fellow. Felt it was easier to do what he wanted and ask for forgiveness than asking for permission.

jharkin
Stalwart

Post by jharkin »

kelt65 wrote:
Sashguy wrote:Yep, born in my neighborhood in 1950 and must admit that having watched it as a poor neighborhood, and now seeing it as a wealthy neighborhood, the poor may have neglected things a bit, but the rich are downright demolishing it.

Same here. There's a flood of out of town, very, very rich people buying up all the properties here and they are absolutely wrecking the interiors, and painting the houses beige. (they were decidedly Caribbean in color style before).

Yep same here. A new owner who drives a Porsche SUV just bought the 1815 house next door. I'm worried what they will do to it.

Every time I see the word "updated" in a RE listing for an antique house I cringe... All to often it means gutted and mcmansionized. Sad old houses owned by families too poor to renovate often have the most salvagablwe original detail to work with...
-Jeremy

1790~1800ish Center Chimney Cape

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

Just the other day I was reading a article online that was about someone out west, I forget which state, that had used gravestones from a Veteran's cemetery to pave his patio and the walk leading to it. That is the height of disrespect. :thumbdown:

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

These stories are certainly disturbing. But sometimes we need to investigate it more, and not just take it at face value. We had a similar thing happen in my area, and people were all up in arms against the owner. No one knew where the headstones came from, none were missing from any known cemeteries. Further investigation revealed that they were from a monument maker and were discarded because of mistakes, chips, etc. These were from the days when they were hand carved.