What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by JRC »

Vala wrote:Can't believe someone would demolish a perfectly good heritage home... Very sad esp because your neighborhood has so many nice houses now theres a big empty lot right next to yours.

Its absence is very bittersweet. I wish it would/could have been saved. I hate that the continuity of the block was damaged. Even in its sad state, it was so much more attractive than the aluminum covered house that's next door, now. But, I also think it created enough privacy that burglars felt comfortable kicking in my side door in broad daylight. I also no longer have to worry that squatters would move in, or that an arsonist would try to burn it down.

The problem is that this neighborhood's real-estate market (most of the city is this way, really) is still so weak that it helps kill these houses. That house probably needed $75k of work to bring it back. But, even after all of that work, the owner would be lucky to get $40k.

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

The floor was grouted and another 30' of porch was stripped. It was a productive day.

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

My husband and I (mostly me) have been trying to figure out what to do with our front stoop, which is concrete and has been painted multiple times. It looks awful. So we finally rented a high-pressure thingy and sprayed off most of the paint. I sanded the rest, and then covered it with a neutral epoxy. It will last a couple of CO winters, I hope. I just don't know what we would do if we jack-hammered it out because wood wouldn't be maintenance free either.

It is not covered so is much exposed to the elements. I guess we could do something a step up from Trex. We would like to add railings. What would you do?
Diane

Don M

Post by Don M »

You could use mahogany or some other hard wood. I have T&G mahogany on my covered balcony & it is standing up well.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Well! I finally got all the wallpaper and stucco down from the middle bedroom.Hurray!

And today this massive eyesore from the 80's? finally came down! YAY! So much better!

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Corsetière wrote:Well! I finally got all the wallpaper and stucco down from the middle bedroom.Hurray!

And today this massive eyesore from the 80's? finally came down! YAY! So much better!

Nice, Corsetiere! I kid you not, I took down 5 of satellite dishes and antennas off my roof when I moved in. It looked like my house was involved in the search for extraterrestrial life.
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

I've been enjoying a beautiful fall. I also have recently been trying to add a few historic details to my bathroom that was recently renovated by previous owners. It was overcrowded, somewhat dark, and the style (Mission) is not my favorite for this house. Though all the cabinets in there are new and mostly real wood, they have veneer on them that is already bubbling up.

Antique mirror and light fixtures replacing the bulky ones that were there before:

This cupboard is stripped, repaired, and ready to paint, and it is going to go in this bathroom. I just got the latch, ordered the paint, and I found a piece of antique mirror to go in the door.

1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

oaktree wrote:Nice, Corsetiere! I kid you not, I took down 5 of satellite dishes and antennas off my roof when I moved in. It looked like my house was involved in the search for extraterrestrial life.

That's hilarious! I had two more (smaller direct tv type ones) on the front of the house!

Your cabinet is really beautiful and unique! And what idyllic photos!

Don M

Post by Don M »

It looks so much better!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Corsetière, I bet that is a happy check off on the To Do list chore. Looks great.

oaktree wrote:Nice, Corsetiere! I kid you not, I took down 5 of satellite dishes and antennas off my roof when I moved in. It looked like my house was involved in the search for extraterrestrial life.

I almost responded before with "But how will the aliens know where to land?", but I was worried folks might take it wrong. Glad I'm not the only one at the District with this mindset. :thumbup:

One place we've looked at had 2 dishes, and for a one family, we thought that was excessive. 5!? Must be a lot of competition in those parts.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.