What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Ober51 »

We continue to make progress and move in date is in site. The remainder of the plumbing and heating will be outsourced/contracted as the cold is going to roll in any our sanity is at its limit.

Here are a few pictures from our progress.

My brother and his tin ceiling-whispering ways, and the cabinets being built.
Attachments
IMG_6466.JPG
IMG_6466.JPG (734 KiB) Viewed 324 times
IMG_6467.JPG
IMG_6467.JPG (665.44 KiB) Viewed 324 times
IMG_6470.JPG
IMG_6470.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 324 times

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Super pretty, Ober51. Love the tin ceiling! Did you find old stuff or just buy new?

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Looks great, Wackyshack!

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Corsetière wrote:Super pretty, Ober51. Love the tin ceiling! Did you find old stuff or just buy new?

All old. It was salvaged from a circa 1880-1890 house overlooking the NYC skyline. I was able to salvage two types of tin, 4/5 rooms of exact matching floors for my home should I ever need it, and a bunch of other stuff. The geometric really came out beautiful, looks really sharp.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Ober51 wrote:
Corsetière wrote:Super pretty, Ober51. Love the tin ceiling! Did you find old stuff or just buy new?

All old. It was salvaged from a circa 1880-1890 house overlooking the NYC skyline. I was able to salvage two types of tin, 4/5 rooms of exact matching floors for my home should I ever need it, and a bunch of other stuff. The geometric really came out beautiful, looks really sharp.

Nice! I have been thinking about putting it in, in my bath, too. Do you have any tips? I worry about finding pieces the right size to fit the room and having it all work out evenly without having to cut something strangely or having some asymmetry.

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Corsetière wrote:
Ober51 wrote:

Nice! I have been thinking about putting it in, in my bath, too. Do you have any tips? I worry about finding pieces the right size to fit the room and having it all work out evenly without having to cut something strangely or having some asymmetry.

My tip is this: be very sure you want it as it is A LOT of work. We took it down, transported, cleaned, scraped, primed, painted, and put it up. Then the process to put up furring strips wasn't fun, only to figure out that aligning tin isn't as easy as it looks. Our kitchen took days. Bathroom several hours. Then I probably need to touch it all up as it was nicked and bent when putting it up.

Im glad to hear it looks great but it better for all this work!

In all seriousness, just know it's a lot of work and you'll be fine. You'll need someone else to help, at least we did.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Ober51, the tin looks great. I hope to someday find some salvage to at least do the ceiling in our half bath. (Edit: Erm, providing the closing goes well. Getting ahead of myself.)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

In my experience its hard to find salvage tin that is useable and available at a reasonable cost, it is so often torn down roughly and then priced by panel for those who want to make "shabby-chic" doodads etc.

New tin, often from old dies can be had for a reasonable price, the manufacturer / supplier sites have good advice on installation as well.
Mick...

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Ober51 wrote: Then the process to put up furring strips wasn't fun, only to figure out that aligning tin isn't as easy as it looks. Our kitchen took days. Bathroom several hours. Then I probably need to touch it all up as it was nicked and bent when putting it up.

Are the furring strips necessary if you have plaster and lath? Just curious...

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Thanks Don M.

Thanks Corsetiere... although I don't think I could ever keep up with your list of accomplishments. For me the painting was as much as I could squeeze in before the major holidays.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!