What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Corsetière »

JRC, the stones look great! I hope you get them for free! lol!

Today I finished up all the plaster work on the walls in the entry way. It was such a long arduous process, having to fill in those enormous holes from the work on the radiator pipes. It took forever to cut the lath to size and used so much mud! I just finished my 7th bag! Next I need to finish the ceiling but I took a brief break and cleaned up the room because it was getting absurd between the saw dust and the plaster. You know its gotten bad when you have to use sponges and a bucket of water to clean the floors one time before you can even mop properly! The room is really starting to come together now and I am excited to see it complete now!

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

spent 4 hours scraping and priming... not done but will start applying color tomorrow on one part of the house... Felt good to be out working on my little peeling cottage.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Starting to rebuild and it feels like a victory. Attacking the ceiling, tiling, and finally got the radiators back from being restored.
Attachments
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG (759.42 KiB) Viewed 425 times

Don M

Post by Don M »

Beautiful!

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

Those were like the lovely radiators that used to be in my home. At least, that's what the descendants told me. They took them out in the late 1970s because she got tired of bleeding the lines. :(

Don M

Post by Don M »

That's too bad SL, it probably wasn't the radiators that caused air in the system.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I reached my tolerance threshold this week and decided I couldn't stand the paneling in my bedroom any longer! It was so gross and dirty! Of course once I started removing the paneling I got to see all the lovely remains of all the bugs that used to live in that room. :(

I had sprayed Ortho home defense last fall so not much survived that, but the past evidence was still there! It really is beyond me how people can live like that, in all that filth! Well the paneling is gone and now I am stripping the wallpaper. Fun! Some joker painted a couple of layers of the wallpaper so it has been a bear to get rid of it in this room! One nice surprise was that once the paneling was off i discovered another set of sconce connections in exactly the spot that I had previously thought I would love to have some! Ha ha! I feel like I am really in synch with this house, because this is the second time this has happened here!

Also, fun fact: Apparently Dawn dish soap will kill a lot of insects! So I went ahead and added some to the water sprayer that I am using to strip the wallpaper - just as an added precaution!

JRC

Post by JRC »

I guess my post got lost. (I was tired, and probably forgot to hit the submit button after previewing)

Ober51, that's gorgeous!

Corsetiere, you have my sympathies. :) I can kind of relate, but I only had to deal with smoke covered walls and evidence that there were rats, at one time. And, all of that was taken care of before I moved in.

Yesterday, I finished painting the front porch. Then, I picked up the pumpkins I bought as part of a neighborhood fundraiser:

Vala

Post by Vala »

Can't believe someone would demolish a perfectly good heritage home... Very sad esp because your neighborhood has so many nice houses now theres a big empty lot right next to yours.

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

To all the recent posts.... everyone is making great headway.

with the threat of rain I moved my painting project indoors. Time to use that good advice the gang gave me about marrying the hallway colors with the kitchen since the traffic path has them so connected. I started with a great shade of green that looks great and it does match the chip but I am liking the wet, lighter shade in the can. I might get the paint store to make me another can and then buy some plain white and lighten it myself. I know for the job I will need at least 2 gallons. In the meantime I spackled some of the walls and wood puttied some holes in prep for tomorrow.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!