What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Gothichome »

Gina, that looks great, the sort of door that may have been installed before plastic or aluminium storms. Nice choice. Actually I think the whole thing looks great.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

It’s been a while since we had any one report a project started, completed or working so so I thought I would mention I finally got serious about the up stairs bathroom refit. Got the antique sink removed.so it has officially begun.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:54 pm I finally got serious about the upstairs bathroom refit. Got the antique sink removed.so it has officially begun.
Keep us posted. Bathrooms can be complicated - a lot to learn (for me, at least), and a lot of decisions to make. When I was planning my upstairs bathroom renovation, a friend of mine recommended electric mesh heat mat for under the tile floor. (That may sound unusual for a Gulf-Coast bathroom but winters do get chilly and this would be an inconspicuous solution for this small, unheated room.) They're inexpensive to install and run (on a timer or rheostat) and may be worth considering for your climate. I can't vouch for them because my project is on hold until I can extricate myself from New England but my friend loves the warm tile under his bare feet on a winter morning.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

yesterday I was lying on a wood floor in a shop fixing a saw and noted how warm and cozy the floor was. Its solid lumber several inches thick so I thought what the heck they can't be using in floor heat, so why is the floor so nice and warm?
after a moment I realized it was because they have overhead radiant heat. I dont hear much about people using it in houses but it sure is nice in a larger space. the air isn't really heated directly, but rather any surfaces that the thing shines on get warm. The heat then radiates from there into the air. I think this is more efficient in some spaces. maybe it only works well when there is a high ceiling. wonder how that might work in a bathroom where having a warm floor is nice since it dries things up.

my bathroom has no vent yet so I always left the lights on for a while after a shower and the door open. girlfriend wants to close the door so the toilet isn't seen. I dont care if I see it I know what it is ;-)
then it doesn't dry well and I had black spots of mold all over the ceiling. tried to show her there is no mold over the lights, they help so leave them on more.. no way, she unscrews 2 of the three bulbs , too bright , shuts them off, so no heat from the light bulbs, closeds the door so no where for heat to go. I try to explain the room isn't a balloon, so you can't blow heat in with the door shut.

i was almost at the point of taking the bloody door off. no bathroom door nothing to argue about right? well that might be a half baked plan.. ;-)

I know it's partly my fault because I need to get the vent installed and fix a dripping tap. Last weekend I doused the whole ceiling and walls in scrubbing bubbles and mopped it all with bleach, cleaned it up so it is brighter now anyway, no more black mold spots. felt crappy for a day from breathing the stuff. I want to rip it all apart and make it nicer but I'm biding my time because I'm really not prepared for the mess and the long job. trying to decide if it should be tile or fir like all the other parts of the house. maybe fir with poly would be ok rather than tile. It gets lots of heat but has no heat return which is why the door open policy works best but trying to explain that has been an ongoing challenge. a humidity controlled fan might fix the issue once and for all. maybe it needs an air return too. If I go to a old free standing tub then maybe that air return could go under the tub somewhere.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

This weekend I am continuing with the demolition of the up stairs bathroom project, got the tub out yesterday and trying to get ride of it via a ‘free stuff’ add on the buy and sell sites. It seems to be a hard sell even for free to get some one to come and get it. It is in my way.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

tubs aren't much value to scrappers since iron has such a low value. Maybe the tub can be reused, or if you pile in other things so it has more weight then they may bite. If you loosely figure they get around 200 per ton, it might take a lot of trips to pay. brass , aluminum, stainless, and car batteries bring them more. you can check the scrap prices for more accuracy.

sometimes people put free stuff on and place it at the curb, then list the address and I'll often hesitate to respond to those, since I have no way of knowing then if someone else reading it is also planning on picking it up so then it can be a goose chase and a waste of time and gas.

others on there are flaky and will say they want things but never show. It happens a lot and gets frustrating. That's Craigslist.

I put a 100 lb metal cabinet in my alley and it's been there too long. I figured a scrapper would take it. if it stays there long enough some ambitious guy with a flat deck will collect it up. I can dump it near the dump for free in the metal pile. It wouldn't be worth the time and gas for me to take it to the scrapyard on it's own.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Ron, I wonder if you put the tub on eBay for an exorbitant price (with an "Or Best Offer" option) if you might be able to sell it. Colored fixtures are priced at a premium lately. (I was stunned when I shopped for a tank lid for my dark-red toilet.) Just a thought.

ETA: See what a similar tank lid is going for today: https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Stand ... SwPAxaKM-W

(I found one for a reasonable price.)

Here's a green tub for an unreasonable price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mid-Ce ... SwVD9gKuhe

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, James, maybe you’re correct, should have put a crazy price, Free may have implied some thing wrong. In the three days I had it up the only interest were scrappers. In the end, it’s gone and out of my way,

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:56 am ...it’s gone and out of my way,
Mission accomplished. This topic is of particular interest to me because very soon I will have to get rid of a house full of furniture. It's good-quality, traditional stuff (1960s) but I've put a couple of Craigslist ads up and the only ones who responded were scammers. That's why I suggested eBay; maybe it reaches a wider audience even with a "local pickup only" restriction for the big stuff. Friends have suggested Facebook Marketplace but I'm loathe to open a Facebook account; I've made that mistake once already.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, yes I remember your quest for the red toilet tank lid. You were a happy man when you found one. We are on the look out now for a high tank toilet for the upstairs bathroom project.