What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Gothichome »

James, a nice little find. It will work well for you application. Those half shades are out there. You can buy them (at a premium) from light restoration folks if it gets down to needing one at this moment. But I dought your in that much of a rush.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Yes, I'm very pleased so far with the work being done. Talked to the owner on Saturday, who said they would be there at 8:30 this morning. He was there at 8:25; his crew showed up at 8:30 on the dot. I always think it's a good omen when they show up on time! They did the rough sanding today:
I'm really happy with the way all my patches are blending in, along with the new salvage floors I installed.

And these guys (all of them!) are excited about using the Rubio. I'm glad I suggested it, because they said they've been wanting to use it for a long time, but finding a customer who was willing to try it has been the holdup.

James, I like your little sconce. Nice find, and sounds like Rose is the kind that has everything you need AND can put her hands on it when you need it. That's a great contact, and I'll bet you can let her know if you're looking for anything else specific.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Bonnie, your floors are looking great, and what patches are you referring, I see no patches ;-) . Tomorrow they are doing the fine sanding and if all goes well start The Rubio on Wednesday?

awomanwithahammer

Thanks, Ron! Yes, fine sanding tomorrow, and I don't know how long that will take, so maybe Rubio on Wednesday. I kind of hope not, though, because my mother has cataract surgery on Wednesday and I have to take her, and I really want to watch them do it.
Bonnie

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

I thought I'd share a recent journal entry of my latest project:

It was late October 2012 I acquired the now hooked up antique gas meter. It only took 6+ years to get the thing installed. I can’t believe how fast time is flying by. It does not seem possible I had that meter just parked in the front room all that time.

There is very little information on gas meters and home gaslighting in general available. I was able to unearth through Google searches some old trade directories. This page is a screen shot of a 1922 trade publication. It shows the different meters and capacities from the Cleveland Gas Meter Company.

My meter is a “5 light” meter which I would estimate to be from the 1890’s or early 1900’s.

These pictures show installing the gas lines in the summer of 1998 and how the front room looked after the floor was refinished and the center gasolier was installed. I cut slots in the wall to run the black iron pipe. I also ran electric line so to be able to add electric if needed in the future. That foresight really paid off when I changed out fixtures to combination gas/electric lights. My friend Brian gave me the three arm gasolier. He told me how it originally came from his father’s childhood home and it was mine for as long I used it with gas!

EDIT: After I posted this entry I realized how unchanged this room actually was from when I painted, papered, and installed the center light around 2000. The paintings as well as the shelf have not moved in nearly 20 years! The gas lights were changed out to combination gas/electric. Looking close I really need to paint the walls again.....

Shelf to support the gas meter. Under normal circumstances the gas lines would be enough support. Because of the piping configuration being only on one side this was not an option. It is amazing how I owe the completion of this project to E-bay. It was through them I was easily able to find the small cast iron shelf brackets and the gas meter connections.

The piped in gas meter:

The shutoff valve must be lifted up to turn the gas on to the meter line. This is so to avoid any chance of this being easily pushed down by accident. The only time there is gas in this meter is when the line is made live to light the gas lights. Otherwise there is no gas presence. It is so relaxing to sit back in the Morris Chair under flickering gas lights and observe the needle slowly rotate on the meter. This is my safety zone in this hostile world....

awomanwithahammer

Oh, that's really nice, Jamie. What a pleasant room! Time does fly, indeed. Hard to believe that Y2K was 20 years ago! Remember what a panic we were all in?
Bonnie

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

I spy William Morris wallpaper! (It's one of my favorite things in the whole world.) That room really looks nice! I love the tiles on the fireplace too. I may have to put wainscoting like that in my living room.

I think you are brave for actually using an antique gas meter. I know, I know, they don't make things like they used to, but I would be scared to death that that thing would fail.
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Thanks for sharing your beautiful room. It looks like a comfy place and the woodworking , wallpaper etc really fit well. I like the gas meter arrangement. If it has it's own shutoff one could do a pressure test and make sure no leaks in the system. I'm not sure how many gas fitters would agree but those old parts are probably well made. I assume the gas line feeding it could be locked out in case people played with the valves and things. not sure about code and it's probably not something you'd run when unattended.
wow it sure makes a room look nicer removing all that paint that was hiding your woodwork.

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

Phil & Gina.... The wallpaper is Bradbury & Bradbury. When I bought this house in 1996 I had visions of faux graining the painted woodwork but the paint buildup was too great. This was my second house to strip paint inside and out. It will be my last!

That black iron pipe is not going to leak. That meter is on the line dedicated to the gas lights. The shut off for the line is before the meter. The only time pressure is in that meter tank is when the lights are lit. If that line were live 24/7 each of the gas valves on the fixtures would have to be opened and adjusted every time they would be lit. They would have to be shut off individually. Having a master shut off for the run makes things so much easier. Turn the line on and just light all the burners with the gas lighter tool. When it is time to shut down just throw the master valve and the the gas line is "dead". Those gas lights don't get a lot of use... but the atmosphere they give off is so special.

When asked I just tell people that installation was all there when I bought the property..."Who would be stupid enought to install gas lights???" LOL!!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I hear ya about stripping paint. It doesn't go easily.

I am stupid enough to install gas lights. (When I was a kid and we had a power failure, we went up to Springfield, Mass. [30 miles] to my aunt's house because she had gas lights and heat.) It's nostalgic - and practical.