What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by awomanwithahammer »

It's a shame we don't live closer together. We could do a progressive heat gun party, BYOHG, going from house to house. Can you imagine how much we'd be able to accomplish?
Bonnie

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

:thumbup: Closer together? It is only about a 7 hour drive. While I was stripping paint, my hubby got my main floor bathroom sink installed. It has been down for at least a year while he swore at it. Couldn't find a faucet set that would fit and looked old, so he gave up and bought one from a supply house. The big bug a boo was a square corner sink in a not square room. Walls were way off, too much to just add more plaster. He built an oak backsplash and scribed it to the wall in the back. I think it looks great.
IMG_8392.JPG
IMG_8392.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 630 times
Today is my happily ever after.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

12.5 hours to Knoxville from central Connecticut, and a mere 7 hours from Mobile - with "light traffic."

Fine job on the sink, and a wise solution to the irregular wall problem. I don't know, do you think the cross-handle faucets look more old-timey? I'll soon be dealing with the same issue of trying to make modern plumbing blend in.

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

The faucet we wound up with looked like the one we took out, but who knows if or when it had been replaced over the last 100 years or so. We were looking for a porcelain cross handle faucet, but the width was not at all standard. Could have "built" one, but Mike really wanted a cast body. This was the only one he could find that fit that wasn't cheaply made. He feels strongly about doing things right the first time and cheap parts are an absolute no-no. Had to order this through our local supply house. Will be replacing the upstairs public bath faucet set sometime, but there the handles and spout are three different parts. Kitchen is a whole different thing. Don't you dare try to get me to give up my Delta touch faucet. Way to user friendly and we are going for a mid-century look there anyway, so the chrome will blend OK. I am asking for a second one for the butler's pantry for Christmas (and Mother's Day, and Birthday.....they are pricey but I think worth it).

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I agree with James, a nice solution to what can be a tricky problem, being a sink with odd spacing I can assume this is an antique sink? If so it’s a great looking sink. Are you going to be able to save those hex tiles I see on the floor?

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

We believe the sink is original to house. (1907) I hope we can save the tiles. They are new. ;) We did loose some original tiles in both bathrooms upstairs due to bad plumbing running through the concrete floors and po changing fixtures. I finally found a supplier that makes them, now we are thinking about replacing whole floors upstairs so we can lay in radiant heat. Those concrete floors get very cold in the winter! We found a vintage toilet (1910) to put in this little bathroom downstairs. It came out of my Dad's house. It has a separate tank that is connected with a chrome elbow to back of stool. Very cool. The wall behind the toilet had major water damage to plaster, probably from years of condensation on the tank. We scored some pvc wainscotting on a clearance rack someplace to cover that section of wall so that will not be a concern again.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Finally finished painting both porches the other day! Woooooohoooo! Break out the Veuve Clicquot!
What a journey! The back was 10 times trickier because of the cellar doors and the electrical wires over head!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Also further good news. 2 houses in the neighborhood sold, once for $400K and one for $289K. One is quite a bit smaller than my home and both are much plainer than my home. Excellent, excellent!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Some times the gods just smile on you. That’s great news, with the work you’ve done over the years your home value increase will be above the average.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Yes, thanks, Gothic! It is some heartening news! I'm here because I love it, but it is good to know I have not lost money. ha ha!

Today I had to special order a new door sweep for the front door since it is precisely 41.75" wide! lol!
All the hardware stores only carry 36" wide. I found that odd because surely someone is creating McMansions with wider doors these days, right? Seems odd there were no other choices! i had to order a 45" and I guess I'll have to cut it down somehow. Having an old house makes you an expert on retrofitting everything!