What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by phil »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Hi, I'm Bonnie, and I'm a lightaholic. The struggle is real, y'all. I picked this gem up today at Habitat Restore for the low, low price of $3:

lol as a radio collector i used to frequent a lot of thrifts and such looking for them. at first Id ask them if they had any old tube radios and get a blank stare.. then I started finding other things , funky heaters, neat looking toasters, old clothes irons. some of the old irons would be in perfect shape and cheap so I'd use the old rubber cords for my radio repairs.. then I started saying , well I'm looking for anything old with a cord hanging out he back of it ;-) its a slippery slope.. now other than having rooms of radios Ive got things like a toaster collection ;-) its fun , of course I have a lamp department too ;-) I love old electrical stuff.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I've got too many lamps too but it's because I can't seem to get it right. The best lamp I have I found on a bench in a subway station. Bonnie, you've got an eye for the good stuff.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Thanks, guys. James, we'll negotiate a price! Phil, I also have a thing for little occasional tables. I have them all over the house.

When I was checking out with the light, the cashier looked at it and said, "sooo....are you going to paint it?" :wtf: :icon-lol: :lolno:

:occasion-happyhalloween:
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Knoxville, here I come!

awomanwithahammer wrote:When I was checking out with the light, the cashier looked at it and said, "sooo....are you going to paint it?"

That's the kind of question that just leaves me with my mouth hanging open. I think of 35 responses in the car on the way home - l'esprit de l'escalier!

The ReStore near here prices everything they've got like it's a frickin' Fabergé egg.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Manalto wrote:The ReStore near here prices everything they've got like it's a frickin' Fabergé egg.

Or made of unobtanium by a tribe of elves in some faraway land.

awomanwithahammer

Yeah, it just depends on which area of town your Restore is in as to how they price stuff. Maryville's usually a little cheaper (or they don't have anyone who knows what things are worth) than West Knoxville--a little ritzier. I once saw a pair of swing arm lamps with the wires cut off close to the lamp and they wanted $25 EACH. Um, no.
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

That would be normal pricing for the store in Bloomfield, Connecticut. The place in Mobile is almost empty; I wonder how they pay the rent. My theory is that their pricing is a function of how much merchandise they move. If they keep getting new stuff in, they can price it so it will make space for more. Maybe not. The ReStore in Seattle that I went to years ago raised my expectations to a level I'm afraid will never be matched.

awomanwithahammer

I did a little heat gun therapy today. I stripped most of the other corner cabinet in the dining room, and it was really therapeutic. The part I thought was going to be crappy, the fluted pilasters, was actually the easiest part. I used a pick to get into the crevices and , once it was heated up good, it all just came away like shucking corn!
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Heat gun therapy is on the agenda for us as well this weekend. Going to work on the hallway.

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

Can I join this heat gun party? Finished stripping that nasty carpet glue from my living room floor this last week. Starting on the kitchen/butler's pantry today. Who needs a furnace?
Today is my happily ever after.