What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Manalto »

Groovy! What'll they think of next? And gas lighting? Jamie, you get all the latest technology!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

If you do want ot connect it to a bell, the power is easy you can just use a common transformer from an old cordless phone or something.
If you want something that looks original, sometimes you can buy old batteries. typical dry cell batteries of the day were about 6 inches tall and 2" diameter, approxiately. They would have thumbscrews on the terminals or brass clips ( called Fahnestock clips)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahnestock_clip

the batteries are all dead by this time of course but you can scan them in segments and piece the image together if you don;t care to cut apart an old battery. that will give the original label, which might read everready dry cell or somethign to that effect. here's an example of what I mean the artwork may be available online from others who have scanned old batteries. there were lots of them and some people just collect old batteries.

http://n467us.com/Photo%20Evidence_files/image118.jpg

to get the form you can make a mold and use plaster or just use a piece of plastic pipe about the right diameter , then you can put a new battery inside and hook it to the clips and then you'll have an original looking battery that has replaceable modern batteries inside.

at home I have something Ill plan to take photos of. one part is a little rotary switch that is about the same vintage, mounted on a little wooden board about 2" square. I also found a super neat little motor. It has a brass tag on it that reads
"porter motor number 2" I found it really interesting that it is so old and has the porter cable name. the motor must ave been either an early experimental one or perhaps was used to explain how electric motors work . it isn't enclosed and meant to run on low voltage so you can see the little brushes which are merely bits of tin that rub the commutator. it , like the switch is mounted on a little board I think it's a bit of roswewood.

I thought I'd try to make a copy of a battery so that it can be displayed and operated. the cast iron frame of the motor and the wiring is very early so you can imagine it may have been the first electric motor people of the day could have seen.

I wondered if it had a use or if it was just a display piece. one use might have been to turn the make and break contacts of a spark gap transmitter. this would date to around the age of titanic's radio equipment , there is a little pic here, not showing the motor but you can see the wheel that looks like a gear, it may have turned. I did get the motor from an older collectors estate and he had some pretty amazing and very old antique radios but I can;t say for sure that it had a radio tie in.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... mitter.jpg

the basis is that the supplied AC current is stepped up through a transformer creating a high voltage. the telegraph key would cause a spark and that spark produces a radio signal. if a motor was added it would then have a frequency relating to how fast the make and break opened and closed. this signal would be broadcast via a big antenna.

these early radios werent' very specific about frequency , but there were not a lot of other radio operators that woudl e interfering then, eventually they learned to regulate and tune into certain frequencies better. and carrying voice over radio was still to be invented.. so early wireless communications required an operator that could send and receive morse code.

as an update I did find another on the internet, here they think it is used as a train motor, or maybe from an erector set so it may have been a toy but I dont; think this guy really knows either.. but anyway here is a pic of the thing

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1757162625

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jamie, maybe you can rig it up as a door bell. Front and rear door. As Phill mentioned a simple boor bell transformer would be more than adequate to power it. That is if you bon’t need it to summon your house keeping staff.

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

Years ago I would have made this functional. Today the thought of fishing wires through walls is enough to wear me out. I've mellowed in time and enjoy it as prop. Kind of like the non-functioning elevator and pay phone in the lobby of "Petticoat Juction's" Shady Rest hotel!

Speaking of doorbells.....

My doorbell "button" was an elevator call box from an old Chicago building. I'm thinking it survived as it stayed in use on a little used top floor. There is only a "down" button. Where the "up" button would be has been filled with a brass rosette and the "up" has been filed off. It still has the original layers of paint which is now flaking off. It will soon be time to redo it. The printing on the side reads, "Signal for cars"

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

It's nice - but I'm having trouble keeping my eyes off of that beautiful screen door.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Manalto wrote:It's nice - but I'm having trouble keeping my eyes off of that beautiful screen door.

:lol: I knew that would catch your eye, James!

I love your finds, Jamie. They're so eclectic!
Bonnie

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Hi, I'm Bonnie, and I'm a lightaholic. The struggle is real, y'all. I picked this gem up today at Habitat Restore for the low, low price of $3:
Solid brass, with all the parts, even the little tassel at the bottom, and weighs about 10 lbs. The wire is fabric wrapped wire, so it will need to be rewired. I have no idea where I'll use it. Maybe I'll clean it up, rewire it, and sell it. Or not!
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Hello and welcome Bonnie, we arehere at L A to help and support each other. It’s a hard road to walk but it gets easier.
Nice score, and an even nicer price. Once again you came up aces, what’s your secret?

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Hi Bonnie. Thanks for sharing.

That fixture would be perfect in my dining room. I'll give you $4 for it!

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Manalto wrote:Hi Bonnie. Thanks for sharing.

That fixture would be perfect in my dining room. I'll give you $4 for it!

:lol:
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham