Shutter ID marks

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Mick_VT

Shutter ID marks

Post by Mick_VT »

It was customary back in the day when fitting louvered shutters to mark them in some way so that the homeowner knew which shutters went on which windows. A common way of doing this was through the use of roman numerals. On my house, much to my delight, I discovered while stripping the almost 1/8" of accumlated paint, the carpenter had numbered the window sills as well as the shutters themselves. I have no idea if this was customary too, but I wasnt expecting it. I carefully recut the numerals after stripping, and am diligently adding the correct numerals to my replacement shutters.
A restored example
A restored example
2014-09-07 10.08.38 copy.jpg (461.96 KiB) Viewed 518 times

I have a theory, from some old pictures, that these louvres were removed in the winter up here in VT. It would certainly protect them from our harsh seasons. Anybody know if I am right? I have pictures of my house in winter time in the 1890s where it appears the shutters are missing, though they could be all closed.
Mick...

Gothichome

Re: Shutter ID marks

Post by Gothichome »

Mick all the interior shutters in Gothichome also have Roman numeral designations. Along with my stories and actual windows. I suspect the custom fit for every window so they needed a way to keep track. I do know that my storms when I moved them from the side to the front had various fits some tight some loose. Non were really crazy off size though.

Don M

Re: Shutter ID marks

Post by Don M »

All my shutters are numbered like yours. I can't tell if the windows were also numbered because I think the triple tracks may be covering them up.