Setbacks...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Setbacks...

Post by Lily left the valley »

Is that near the same spot where someone took out the fence, then fled before?

And how do they manage to miss all of the "just fence" parts on either side, and instead crash where the tree is behind the fence? :crazy: Seems nutty to me.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Are you on a corner? Maybe you need some boulders around the perimeter of your property.

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

Lily left the valley wrote:Is that near the same spot where someone took out the fence, then fled before?

And how do they manage to miss all of the "just fence" parts on either side, and instead crash where the tree is behind the fence? :crazy: Seems nutty to me.

Yep, the place they took out before was just to the right of the tree. (behind the car in that pic)...they took out 40 feet, several poles, and the gate in that incident.

The pecan tree is directly up against the fence...the car hit it hard on the right front of the car...bent up some of the wire/etc but left the poles and top rail unscathed...car is totaled I'm sure...so I at least...won this round...

Don M wrote:Are you on a corner? Maybe you need some boulders around the perimeter of your property.

We are...coming from the direction they were going, you either have to go straight, or turn. They apparently couldn't decide and split the difference.

Boulders might work. I'm sort of wondering what the city would think about a series of tank traps :) I could call it an art installation.

This fence survived unscathed for more than 40 years...and then BAM! Twice in one year. Sigh.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Unbelievable!

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

A few more pics at my blog...

The Saturday night fence whacking and pecan shake-about...

Short of it..."We won."

http://theoldvictorian.com/2016/11/14/seriously/

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

That reminds of an oooooooooold discussion over at Oldhouseweb where someone constantly had their garden dug up by snowploughs and someone commented: "Well, I think you need a hedgerow!" :D

Attached was a drawing of a hedge on top of an earth wall reinforced with huge wooden pillars driven deep into the ground (think 8" thick driven down something like seven feet)

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

Definitely considering some sort of yard feature...that fence has been there for more than 40 years and bam...twice in one year...I'm worried they're going to hit my house (harder, they DID the last time)...

But it would need to be something that was unlikely to launch them airborne...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Daniel Meyer wrote:But it would need to be something that was unlikely to launch them airborne...

That was something I was worried about. I had been trying to find an old article where someone (I want to say in England) had put up a sort of tank trap as his home was very close to a busy road, and he'd had lots of folks on his property as a result.

Even if I can't remember where I saw the article, I'll never forget the pictures where his homemade barricade did help launch a car speeding way over the limit directly at his home--the direct opposite of what he had been hoping for there. :shock:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

In other news...we may have settled on a color scheme...

This is NOT...unfortunately...the Old Vic...but has a lot of the features (both existing and planned)...

Of course...it's still just a dream...this paint...as we're still struggling to get back to the point we were at last spring...but ya gotta start somewhere...

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Whoa Daniel, is that ever gorgeous!! Love it!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!