Setbacks...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Re: Setbacks...

Post by Daniel Meyer »

...and some music that helps me along....

"...where memories live and the dream don't fail..."

https://youtu.be/_Ri2KEiXlNk

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Forge on good man... you have been through a lot..... mother nature can be a cruel witch, she should have pelted the Mc Mansions and left the old houses alone.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

Wackyshack wrote:Forge on good man... you have been through a lot..... mother nature can be a cruel witch, she should have pelted the Mc Mansions and left the old houses alone.

LOL! She did, believe me! The Suburban Blah house got hit hard too...and the latest estimates are that something more than 75,000 homes were damaged in the two storms!

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

By my hand our tower is saved...by which...I'm probably accidentally challenging Thor to another duel...

http://theoldvictorian.com/2016/10/19/tower-is-saved/

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Oh wow - the insurance company assessment that claims that repair was worth $ 110.00. I am shaking my head at that. Did they just mean getting flat glass cut to size or what ? That makes no sense in 2016 dollars otherwise.

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

lovesickest wrote:Oh wow - the insurance company assessment that claims that repair was worth $ 110.00. I am shaking my head at that. Did they just mean getting flat glass cut to size or what ? That makes no sense in 2016 dollars otherwise.

Two of the window panes had previously been replaced with plexiglass...so their reasoning was that the ones I lost in this storm...I could just plexiglass over.

The shattered sashes and split frames they claimed were just "old".

They have also "depreciated" my 1 year old, lifetime roof by 10% (we're still arguing that), and denied any coverage for the split fishscale ('cause it's old) and the one place on the house that was painted and the hail bashed the paint off is denied because, "the rest of the house needs paint"...

They are VERY good at their job...insurance companies are...

...of course their job is paying out as little as possible while collecting the highest premiums they can.

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Did you see the episode of the Simpsons, where Ned Flanders' house was destroyed in a storm ? Neighbours pitched in with a Habitat for Humanity type group to rebuild him a new one, which gave him a nervous breakdown because it was so terrible. The reason Ned didn't buy insurance was because he felt it was like gambling and against his morals.

It sounds like even buying insurance is a gamble. What a racket.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Back when we had the flood after the fire (FD pumped 10k l of water through our roof, about half of which made it down to the lower floors) I once joked we could use insurance against insurance companies - after a few seconds I added "but that wouldn't do any good either because you'd also have to deal with an insurance company then!"

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

Interesting year...

....annnd tonight. My fence. My pecan tree...

I think I won this round though....

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

jeezez. Here's to better luck. Nice tree btw ;-)