Survey: Which direction should the shower door swing?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Survey: Which direction should the shower door swing?

Post by Manalto »

Thank you all for your responses.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, I think I would place the hinge below your ‘?’ If it was I, I would be taking my clothes off between the sink toilet and shower pulling the door open with my right hand and step in. This makes it a perfect work triangle. The only braw back is you would have to open the door 180 degrees to start the shower (got to have it warmed up before stepping in, or am I becoming soft) with out getting wet.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote:James, I think I would place the hinge below your ‘?’ If it were me, I would be taking my clothes off between the sink, toilet and shower, pulling the door open with my right hand, and stepping in. This makes it a perfect work triangle.

Ron, you are not alone in your opinion.
In fact, all but one of the many people I have asked (outside THD) agree. My friend, who is an architect, dismissed the reverse position as ridiculous: "You step out of the shower into the hall?"

Gothichome wrote:The only drawback is you would have to open the door 180 degrees to start the shower (got to have it warmed up before stepping in, or am I becoming soft?) with out getting wet.

The one person who disagreed with the hinge-on-the-right arrangement was the tiler who gave me an estimate on the job. Let me hasten to add that this is not just some random handyman. He has a reputation in the area as one of the best; his portfolio includes some impressive high-end houses and historical restorations. As you mentioned, he said that you don't want to reach through water in order to adjust its temperature and, when doing so, you don't want splashing from the shower directed onto the bathroom floor so, according to him, the opening should be on the same wall the shower head is mounted on. The plumbing could be moved to the other side of the shower but it would compromise my plan to make the upper half of that wall of glass block.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Late chiming in, but I agree with right hand hinge. Yes, you'll have to open the door a little wider to reach in to adjust the water, but it's going to splash out a little no matter which way it opens. And I'd rather step out toward the sink and toilet than toward the hall door, then doubling back. The only "must" to add is that it must swing outward, not into the shower, according to most codes.
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote: I'd rather step out toward the sink and toilet than toward the hall door, then doubling back.

At the risk of being indelicate, I take care of that stuff before getting into the shower. Although, I do need to stand in front of a mirror to comb my shoulder-length flaxen tresses.

awomanwithahammer wrote:The only "must" to add is that it must swing outward, not into the shower, according to most codes.

That makes sense. Bath and shower injuries account for a large percentage of of emergency room visits.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Manalto wrote:
awomanwithahammer wrote: I'd rather step out toward the sink and toilet than toward the hall door, then doubling back.

At the risk of being indelicate, I take care of that stuff before getting into the shower. Although, I do need to stand in front of a mirror to comb my shoulder-length flaxen tresses

Ummmm...
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Ummmm...

Better check your ballast, Bonnie - you're humming.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I made a post but it disappeared into la la land.. anyway..
James what will stop the glass door? If it binds up against that short wall to the left of the door in the sketch , that is too close to the hinge for a bumper. if someone pushes on the door it will have so much leverage they could wreck the hinge without trying to. you also dont wan the glass to come in contact with the porcelain bowl or a stopper on the floor by the toilet.

I can see the merit of adjusting the water temp with the door mostly closed.

have you considered a no door shower and a slope and drain on the floor? I like that because then no glass to clean.

depending how humidity and ventilation is you might want o be able to leave the door wide open so it can dry in there better.

I get the feeling the tile guy is smarter than the architect ;-) Id put the functionality ahead of fung shui

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote:James what will stop the glass door?

Phil, I I have zero skills in this area and don't want to experiment or experience a learning curve on the bathroom that's just outside by bedroom door. I'm leaving it up to the experts. But, your observation is duly noted, and the bathroom door will have a proper stop.

phil wrote:...have you considered a no door shower and a slope and drain on the floor?

This is 1919, Phil. What are you thinking? Jeez

...and I am THIS CLOSE to having a shower curtain.

phil wrote:...depending how humidity and ventilation is you might want to be able to leave the door wide open so it can dry in there better.

Oh, yes. You don't know humidity till you've been to the Gulf Coast.

phil wrote: I get the feeling the tile guy is smarter than the architect ;-)

From your lips to God's ears.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

awomanwithahammer wrote:
Manalto wrote:

At the risk of being indelicate, I take care of that stuff before getting into the shower. Although, I do need to stand in front of a mirror to comb my shoulder-length flaxen tresses

Ummmm...

James, you and Fabio, one and the same. I would never have guessed. :lol: :lol: