Another Historic Loss

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Another Historic Loss

Post by Nicholas »

Or...another kind of historic loss.

Here in Southern Florida, unlike the rest of a lot of the country, it is hard to find properties that were in existence before 1900. Especially those with a colorful past. In this case it would be the 1889 Desert Inn, sitting by itself on a busy intersection, trading post, saloon, motel, bordello, biker bar, restaurant. Located at the junction of Hiway 60 and 441 known as Yeehaw Junction, also known as and still referred by truckers as "Jackass Crossing" it had been listed as a National Historic Landmark in 1994.

1012101405b.jpg
1012101405b.jpg (51.69 KiB) Viewed 715 times

While I was running back and forth between the newly purchased BeeHouse and Fort Lauderdale, I made it a point to stop here for break, being halfway point, and more fun than the turnpike plaza. The rooms upstairs were said to be haunted, (laughter and footsteps were heard), and for years unwary out of state-ers would be seated at a special table, where half way through the meal the bartender would release via a long fishing line, a huge phony spider that would drop from the ceiling onto the table.

Well, all that came to an end just before Christmas, when one of the hundreds of trucks that pass this intersection went off the road and drove right into the building.

desertinn-crash.jpg
desertinn-crash.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 715 times

Now, the owner had passed away a couple years ago, it was closed and it was willed to the county, was in process to be restored and opened again. The power was off, and the only thing illuminating this landmark at night was the single traffic light hanging in the intersection. The trucker said it was so dark, he didn't even realize he left the road. It looks like he just thought he was on the road until the headlights illuminated the structure, he stood on the brakes and the truck went through the place in a jacknifed position. When they pulled the truck out, the "bordello" room came crashing down.

download.jpg
download.jpg (170.65 KiB) Viewed 715 times

download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (165.22 KiB) Viewed 715 times

So...was there a power failure? No..the traffic light was operating. Was the power to the building off? I would at least have floodlights or a streetlamp nearby to keep it illuminated and visible. Was it not possible to leave the trailer, with its load of orange juice unloaded, until engineers could maybe position jacks to keep it from collapsing? Maybe I am not an engineer to decide that and if it was feasible and safe.

But I am somewhat angry, as more of Florida loses its history in some places, and that no one thought ahead to somehow protect this place.

But spend a few minutes at that location, and you can see that this was bound to happen.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

MJ1987
Been here a while

Re: Another Historic Loss

Post by MJ1987 »

OMG... What a shame. Imagine? It was standing there for over 130 years--many of which there was no real light or electricity to illuminate the building. Then all these years later it gets decimated by a tractor-trailer :crying-blue:

I'm sorry for the loss. It certainly looked like a really cool roadside stop!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I agree. In my lifetime I've seen most of the character stripped away from the American landscape.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

doesn't the truckers insurance cover the damage?If the trucker was overdriving his visibility it was obviously his fault.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Looks like "Jackass Crossing" lived up to its name. He had to have been rolling to cause that much damage.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

phil wrote:doesn't the truckers insurance cover the damage?If the trucker was overdriving his visibility it was obviously his fault.

The county is going after the truckers insurance, as the building itself was uninsured in the county possession... :shock: :naughty: but the cost may cover demolition. In my opinion though, they can still rebuild the facade. They say if more than half the building is damaged, it is condemned. The main part of the building, built before 1925, looks salvageable, part of the original trading post is still attached at back, you can see it in google street view. Also, there is still an antique gas pump, back when it was also a filling station, seen on right, in photos of news story link below, it fell over when the building collapsed.

The restored bordello room

Larry-Shane-bordello-room.jpg
Larry-Shane-bordello-room.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 652 times

DSC_5946.jpg
DSC_5946.jpg (67.73 KiB) Viewed 649 times

NEWS STORY AND HISTORY
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

What they can do and what they will do depends, I imagine, on the people in power.

The restored Bordello room looks just like the living room of a friend growing up. His divorcee mother was named Candy and she was having an affair, I learned years later, with the husband (who played bass in a jazz group) of a woman down the street from me. At the time, it was the spiciest story I'd ever heard involving people I knew. All this is to say that I think the decoration is appropriate!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

maybe they should re-open that bordello and generate income for the damages ;-) It looks like an interesting place to stop, at least for coffee ;-)

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

That bordello room looks like it was "restored" to its 1969 appearance instead of 1889!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:That bordello room looks like it was "restored" to its 1969 appearance instead of 1889!

I think it’s the 60’s Vegas look Colonial. Complete with swing but missing the pole. :lol: