On to the window trim

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Re: On to the window trim

Post by PaulJohnson »

I spoke to previous owners yesterday and asked if they had replaced the casings. They did not.

My research continues.

Thank you you for the tip on plank frame windows.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Thanks Jade. that term helped.
This thread on another forum seems to date that construction style near to the age of the house. Interesting. They dont look too bad to recreate.

maybe that shows that these are pretty original and so he could just copy or repair one and do the others as time allows , rather than trying to change the style of them .

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/view ... 87ab952d08

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

Those are the ones.
I am still perplexed by the the more modern nail (see pic). Would have expected to see acorn or square head nails.

The underpayment has the rough cut nails.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

it's very possible the nail was installed at a much later date...the reason? who knows... :eusa-think:

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

Jade - thank you for your optimism :angel:

So now that we may have aged the window - repair or replace?

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

back view 2.JPG
back view 2.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 686 times
When I pulled the trim off the keeping room double exterior window 34 years ago the casing was put up with a wide strip of birch bark behind it. I re-clapboarded the front and one side and found all the windows and doors had birch bark. This mast have been the building paper of 1809. When I replaced the trim I did not mortise and tenon it. You can see the water shed directly off the summer kitchen ell. I had to replace the windows also as they were gone beyond repair. I had a friend who had a set of 12/12 sash that fit perfectly. This house was a big project for a 24 year old.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

paul....traditional preservation philosophy suggests that we keep as much of the original
as possible...there is a dollop of interpretation in that...my first big project was the complete
restoration of a 1746 cape in provincetown, ma...the windows were plank framed and the
house timber framed...some wood components were held together by strings of cellular
matter...we removed and replaced BUT we salvaged lengths of the wood components and
made such things as towel racks for the bathroom, cleats, dowels and a few balusters....

you could scarf in sections of old growth pine but I would not hesitate to replace in kind...
use a set of punch stamps to stamp out your name and the date of replacement...https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 6339510507 be sure to prime the entirety of each component prior to installation....

I JUST NOTICED THE PRICE ON THE STAMPS ABOVE...DECENT ONES ARE AVAILABLE
FOR MUCH LESS!

that's my opinion from my seat at the lazy boy..........
........jade

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Jewelry supply stores sell the same or better quality for much less, it's true.

https://contenti.com/uppercase-letter-s ... s-1-16-1-8
https://www.riogrande.com/category/tool ... ing/stamps
1939 Minimal Traditional

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

Harbor Freight has some simple punch sets

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Letter%20punch

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jade, I do some of my best work in a comfortable chair, most of it consepulization. :-)

As far as the repairs Paul, scarfing in a new piece would be the ideal method to repair the rot. The issue with scarfing is hiding the scarf, a nice tight scarf is a thing of beauty (almost a sin to hide such workmanship).
Saying that I think I would lean towards installing all new elements and replace. To replace properly (and I think a home such as yours deserves it) I would source the lumber from a saw mill to size rather than deal with dimensional lumber. I save all the good wood I have removed and use were possible for smaller repairs.

As far as distinguishing new repairs from original, most untrained observers would not notice the new from old. But those who are genuinely interested in distinguishing repairs from original are more concerned (I think) in identifying the historical evolution of your home at a scholarly level.