Menards, Why?!?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
accolay
Settling in

Menards, Why?!?

Post by accolay »

Noticed this Menards commercial and the dude rips out the original French doors. Why?

https://youtu.be/YYrfibNWN5Y?t=48

"Kansas City, Missouri has these amazing, grand homes that just have this charm and this character. When I'm renovating a home I feel like my job is maintain the character of the home but it's also to create a space that maximized how people live in it today. When I stand back and look what I've created it's a humbling experience."

He didn't even bother to do the right framing for the new door at 1:15. :wtf:

Sara
Been here a while

Re: Menards, Why?!?

Post by Sara »

Aw, a small town farmboy from Nebraska, too! Yeaaah.. not sure why he did that. Hmm.. :eh:

He could have at least removed the frame nicely so it could be sold with the french doors.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Wow - chasing the dream of replacing antique solid wood 24" french doors with some crapola new 30" French doors. The improvement is astonishing.

Stupid and shameful. You can't restore a "grand home" this way, Menards and "Cody".

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

GAG ME!!!!!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

At least he didn't extol the "green" virtue of the replacements.

Wastefully stupid. How can we cure that when profit is placed over common sense?

And of course the comments are disabled, so one can't even point out the wastefulness let alone the poor quality of craftsmanship. :problem:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Ugh.. sickening... also ratings are disabled for that video so I couldn't give it a dislike what a surprise. Gotta love the "oh everything is original, let's change it!" crowd..

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Also love that he blasts those huge framing nails right into the clapboard siding. You can actually see at least one of the boards split right in half. Forget about salvaging those doors--they went right in a dumpster with the other pieces of the hinges that he left hanging on the jamb. Pathetic.
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Vala

Post by Vala »

MJ1987 wrote:Also love that he blasts those huge framing nails right into the clapboard siding. You can actually see at least one of the boards split right in half. Forget about salvaging those doors--they went right in a dumpster with the other pieces of the hinges that he left hanging on the jamb. Pathetic.

Yea that really ticks me off when they pull the pin from the hinges, throw away the pin as well as the other half of the hinges... Instead of just unscrewing the hinges out of the jamb.. I had to deal with that when I was putting back doors and my casement windows... And my casement windows... Very infuriating. How they even get the pin out is beyond me, half the time it's rusted in place or almost impossible to pull without breaking the whole thing.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

This thread inspired me this morning as thunder rumbled and rains pelted the grounds barely with any white left from yesterday's snow like an ominous tongue in cheek warning of what was about to be written... :whistle:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

You just know it's a real craftsman when his clothes all his tools are on their first use..and he pretends to be sweating from lifting his new plastic door up ;-)
Last edited by phil on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.