The mad painter strikes again!

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

The mad painter strikes again!

Post by Corsetière »

Someone needs to take the paint brush away from this flipper! Scroll through the album: https://www.facebook.com/ColumbusLandBa ... =3&theater

Sara
Been here a while

Re: The mad painter strikes again!

Post by Sara »

Props to them. Wow - that interior was trashed. Would much rather see trim and doors painted than the house demo-ed to make way for something like a duplex. They even recreated the trim where it was missing.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

I just don't understand the urge to paint perfectly good original trim.

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Corsetière wrote:I just don't understand the urge to paint perfectly good original trim.

Two words - time and laziness. Most flippers don't want to spend a lot of time on a house. Instead of spending many hours cleaning original trim, they just slop a coat of paint on and move on.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Sara wrote:Props to them. Wow - that interior was trashed. Would much rather see trim and doors painted than the house demo-ed to make way for something like a duplex. They even recreated the trim where it was missing.

While it is a shame to see the wood covered up, I'd have to agree with Sara. It may not be a restoration of the house, but it was surely a salvation

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Bit of a quandary, restoration or saving! In an ideal world this home could of had both. From the pics posted all they’ve done is saved the building. In this instance is that a good thing, not sure. All the work that went into saving the duilding is surface work, made to look nice and sell. What’s under all that vinyl and fresh drywall know one will know until some thing fails. Does it add any thing to the street scape I would argue, no.
With a little more vision and care this home could have (at the least) some of its original charm both on the exterior and interior. But all it manages to do is look like any modern suburban house.
Coming from a land bank I know it was never intended to be part of an historic district or even a redevelopment district. The only hope (in my view) is the house will provide an opportunity to a low income family to own thier own home.

Vala

Post by Vala »

The piece they replaced was the simplest piece to recreate.. And I really do hate the bottom trim piece under the sill apron that they put instead of the original pieces, forget the name of this part.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Vala wrote:The piece they replaced was the simplest piece to recreate.. And I really do hate the bottom trim piece under the sill apron that they put instead of the original pieces, forget the name of this part.

I know! That really bugged me too!

Gothichome wrote:With a little more vision and care this home could have (at the least) some of its original charm both on the exterior and interior. But all it manages to do is look like any modern suburban house.
Coming from a land bank I know it was never intended to be part of an historic district or even a redevelopment district. The only hope (in my view) is the house will provide an opportunity to a low income family to own thier own home.

Agreed. I do feel like flippers are whitewashing the neighborhood. I just don't understand why they feel the need to mess with woodwork that is in fine condition?!

Sadly, I am certain it won't go to a low income family I would bet they try to sell it for at least $250K

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
Corsetière wrote:I just don't understand the urge to paint perfectly good original trim.

Two words - time and laziness. Most flippers don't want to spend a lot of time on a house. Instead of spending many hours cleaning original trim, they just slop a coat of paint on and move on.

So sad! I would have literally just washed it and oiled it.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Sow's Ear Mal wrote:
Sara wrote:Props to them. Wow - that interior was trashed. Would much rather see trim and doors painted than the house demo-ed to make way for something like a duplex. They even recreated the trim where it was missing.

While it is a shame to see the wood covered up, I'd have to agree with Sara. It may not be a restoration of the house, but it was surely a salvation

Well, yeah, I didn't mention that because I thought it was obvious that anyone on this forum would agree it is better that it is not torn down. My point is the needless painting. Of course any preservationist would be happy it was not demolished...