Jumping and hoping. Jen's kitchen cabinet adventure.

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Jumping and hoping. Jen's kitchen cabinet adventure.

Post by SmellyHouse »

Okay, I am going to hopefully not jinx the gods, but I need the board's collective help, so I'm going to let the cat out of the bag.

For you OHW and WG'ers, you know the story and can skip the rest of this paragraph. :lolno: In rebuilding Smelly, I wanted to find a somewhat period appropriate kitchen and had been looking high and low for either a complete kitchen, a butler's pantry, or a set of matching stepbacks to install in my kitchen. I had been looking on and off for about 2 years, and found a set, though painted, at a salvage shop in MN. But I was worried about what lurked under the paint and stain, as well as the short uppers..so I passed.

After ripping up the HWF upstairs (which killed me, trust me) and the hailstorm of dust and debris that rained down upon my makeshift kitchen, I realized that open kitchen shelving was probably not a good option. So 2 Sundays ago, I started hunting for some cheap Ikea cabinets (or reasonable facsimile thereof) to replace my trusty 48" 6 wire shelf commercial unit I bought at Costco (a steal at under $100, btw). I could not find anything that would fit, likely last more than 1 week, or that didn't look like total crap for under $500. So I said to myself, hey, at that price, you should just buy another Hoosier.

So, off to the web I went, scouring my favorite places. And lo and behold, what do I find? Not one, but a whole series of stepback cabinets, from the same manufacturer, from the same demo site, and with the original finish. No way. Too good to be true. So I mosey on down to the dealer last Saturday, and they shelves were great. Some minor imperfections to be sure, but this dealer has one of the nicest selections of antiques, at Brimfield, year in and year old. So I knew these were solid. And more than enough linear feet for my kitchen. There was one piece that was at a different shop, so we agreed I would look at that particular piece on Sunday, then pick the uppers and lowers I liked best, and we'd finalize the sale. Cash.

Of course, me being me, reality comes back to bite me in the butt.

Not two hours later, at a local restaurant, I didn't see the 8 inch step down between a hallway and the main dining room...and down I go. My left ankle was so badly sprained I could not put any weight on it at all. I'm two hours from home and had no desire to sit in a local ER, only to tell me it's a sprain, give me crutches, and put me on my merry way. I called the cabinet owner, in tears, to tell them there was no way I would be able to make it back tomorrow, can they take pictures and we'll have to verbally finalize the sale and I'd figure out a way to get them their money.

So, I grit my teeth, hop to the car, and endured the most painful 2 hour car ride ever. I drove the speed limit (a rarity) and avoided using the clutch at all costs unless I am about to stall or redline the RPMs. I made it home, only to crawl into the house and down into the basement where my crutches are stored. Then I promptly took 2 very powerful painkillers and drift off to sleep.

Hopped up on painkillers on Sunday, I reviewed the planned kitchen layout with my sister, to confirm my vision of how the stepbacks would fit. We agreed to an option A and B (in case of brittle wood or my measurements are off, though I gave myself an inch leeway on each measurement) and that I would buy an extra stepback (as a safety) and sell it if I didn't need it. The seller sent me pictures of the last cabinet, and after some tense negotiations, we settled on a fair price. A bit more than what I wanted to pay, but then again, unicorns don't come cheap. And I will see the unicorns on Sunday morning. All of them.

So, here's a sample viewing:

48inchSmall.jpg
48inchSmall.jpg (629.6 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

And the questions to the team:

A. In moving out the old shelving today, I discovered my long forgotten gas hookup. It sticks out from the wall a good 4 to 6 inches. With the old shelving, I just rearranged the shelves so that the gas valve was midway between shelves. But now, this will prevent me from putting the bottom of the stepback flush with the wall. Do I try to build some support for the top portion of the stepback (which would sit flush against the wall) or just have a gap between the wall and the stepback.

B. I have 5 of these suckers being delivered. I was going to store 4 or 5 of them in the first floor living room (the baby grand piano, which I've needed to get rid of for awhile, goes bye bye tomorrow)...but I am concerned about the load of the floor joists. Should I try to get someone in here on Saturday to put up some jack posts in the basement? And if so, anyone in greater Boston want to earn a beer and some well deserved gratitude? ;)

Thanks in advance..and more pics to come.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Jumping and hoping. Jen's kitchen cabinet adventure.

Post by SkipW »

Hi Jen, back at it I see ;-)

Sorry about the ankle but nice score!

Unless these puppies weigh in at over 200 lbs apiece, I wouldn't worry about the floor framing...imagine having a party and 10 guests. I doubt all 10 would weigh 100 lbs so 5 of these at 200 would be similar to that. Also, if you can store them near or against the outside wall and not all in the middle of the room, there is support that way as well.

Are you going to use the gas line in the new setup? If not, how about having it capped off in or close to the wall so you can put a unit there?

Good luck!
Etta says "WOOF"

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Hooray for unicorns!

I have no useful advice, but I'm excited for you. Hope your ankle heals soon!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Hi Skip :wave: Hope all is well with you and yours in Maine. Yep, back at it again. :crazy:

From what the antique dealer told me, each 48" set is 250 pounds. The frames are solid oak. I hadn't thought about putting them (or some) on the perimeter of the house. That's a great idea. If only one of the bedrooms upstairs was rid of the smell...it would be great to have my dining room back for this kinda stuff :lol:

I need to move the gas line anyways. Could I have them cut it and cap in the basement? I just don't know if I can get anyone out here (particularly since it's supposed to snow tomorrow) on 24 hours notice...and plumbers always hate to work on my house anyways since it's a rats nest. But I could give it a shot.

Thanks Lily! Hope your move continues to go smoothly. The butter cat thing is a riot ;)

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

SmellyHouse wrote:
I need to move the gas line anyways. Could I have them cut it and cap in the basement? I just don't know if I can get anyone out here (particularly since it's supposed to snow tomorrow) on 24 hours notice...and plumbers always hate to work on my house anyways since it's a rats nest. But I could give it a shot.

Even better! If you can't get a tech to remove the line and cap in the basement in time...is the gas service active? Are there other appliances on the line? If it is not active (i.e.: turned on from the street or tank) then you can shut the main valve and remove the part in your way until you can get a tech. If it is only one leg of an active service, there may be a shutoff valve on that leg itself and it can be turned off and then the part removed. At that point you can wait for a pro to cap correctly. Mind you, this is only a temporary solution but it is similar to pulling your gas range out of the normal resting spot and closing the valve and painting the wall, etc...that's what the valve is for.
Etta says "WOOF"

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

If you aren't going to use the gas line, it can easily be cut and capped in the basement.

250 lb isn't an unreasonable estimate for a solid oak cabinet. I second the idea of lining them up along a wall. It shouldn't be enough weight to warp a floor, though.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Those are fine cabinets, and so amazing you found five (you said five, right ?) matching ones for your kitchen.

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Thanks all. I admit, I'm pretty excited. I sorta did like the cross hatching on the face of the upper cabinets (in the MN find) but I certainly like this set better.

I am not sure I can get a plumber out on such short notice. It's a live gas line (gas dryer) so I may just have to stack just that 1 piece 4" away from the wall.

Sad part is that I say goodbye tomorrow to my vintage (1920) Ivers and Pond baby grand piano. I bought it for a milestone birthday and had looked for a rebuildable piano for a better part of a year. I knew I'd have to get rid of it (it's too big for my current LR). I was going to donate it, but it seems that it has a cracked pinboard, and will be impossible to keep in tune. It's being hauled away tomorrow :crying-blue:

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Shame about the piano. I saw pics of it on your blog. It was a beaut! Do you have plans to get an upright?

We babysat a friend's baby grand Steinway (inherited from her dad) for a while as she had a rather full house but didn't want to lose it. She even paid to move it and re-tune it, even when we had to switch rentals at one point. But when we moved from NJ to CA, we said, "We love this and have had so much fun playing it, but...we don't know when we might ever move back this way." So she finally had to take it back, and then she did put it in her own house. She's an animal trainer with a house full of many, many animals and even insects (in their terrariums). Giant scorpions and spiders! Some are rescues, a few farm animals--the pig was even allowed inside. Some are early care police dogs she trains. She also does commercial work with some of the animals like for still and moving film. They were all great. So with all those animals running around, plus the kids and their friends (kids were still young then), it was kind of understandable why she didn't want it in her living room just yet. :lol:

Looking forward to photos when you get your new additions in place.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Smellyhouse (Jen), good to have you posting once again. Those cabinets are great, all your storage needs met in one go, and good quality and condition. Look forward to seeing them in place. How did you solve your transition delema between the new and old sections of you home?