Jumping and hoping. Jen's kitchen cabinet adventure.

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Re: Jumping and hoping. Jen's kitchen cabinet adventure.

Post by SmellyHouse »

Hi GC! How are you??? Keeping busy with the house, I see ;) Thank you for the kinds words (and Lily as well).

So, they are here (this is the 70") And they need cleaning! (and sticker removal on the 70").

70small.jpg
70small.jpg (435.06 KiB) Viewed 481 times

I will use goo gone for the spotches of paint...but any suggestions on getting decades old paper stickers off cabinet fronts?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

soapy water, maybe applied as a poultice with a piece of old towel. If the cabinets are shellaced that may bloom the shellac, but that can be remedied after
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

OOOOOO, look at that wavy glass. As Mick suggested a going over with a damp cloth. The paper will come off off the glue, depending on the glue you might be able to rub it off with your thumb. If it has dried rock hard it though I think a bit of goo off will work. Just test it first.

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Hi all, yes hot soapy water and some goo gone seems to be doing the trick without damaging the wood. I tried to remove a big blob of paint with goo gone, and it definitely lightened up the shellac in one spot. Wondering if I should just leave the paint until the cabinetmaker goes at it?

UnpaintedDoorFront.jpg
UnpaintedDoorFront.jpg (64.23 KiB) Viewed 477 times

Also, do I need to do the whole mineral spirits and waxing at this point? I sorta would prefer not too, because I need to put my kitchen back together quickly, but it's also 11 degrees today (-10 with wind chill)...sorta a cold day to open the windows for ventilation. Part of me wants to do it so they look fabulous, but its also a time consuming process.

Can I clean with soapy water, then wax, all in 1 day? If I have to hold off, I can. It's just hard because they are all over the first floor right now and I'm on crutches :(

TIA

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I think Casey or Al might be the ones to answer that best.

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Don't have any advice - just wanted to pop in and say the cabinet is beautiful!!
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

I would clean them with TSP (tri sodium phosphate (without the phosphate here in NY)). I assume that "until the cabinetmaker goes at it" means the installation. Short of doing a complete refinish, I would leave all the final touch up until he/she is done.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Nice cabinets ! If the floor was going to be an issue you'd have more issues than the weight of the cabinets, your floor needs to be able to take the maximum number of people you could fit in the room , say if you had a party you wouldn't want the floor to give way. Seriously doubt it's a worry. I was concerned about putting a stack of 40 ten foot sheets of 1/2" drywall in my kitchen but it didnt' even creak.

I'd just use danish oil, turpentine and vinegar on a rag and wipe them down and buff them off really well after that with a dry cloth, leave the white spot for a bit it may correct itself. I absent mindedly put a cap off an alcohol bottle on my shellacked table and it did that but after time it just went away.
I wouldn't call a plumber for the gas line. you need a gasfitter not a plumber, some may have dual tickets but you need a gas ticket to be legal otherwise you could do it yourself. Yea it just needs a cap and you have to shut off the gas to do that and maybe unscrew the part at sticks out and install a cap. I wouldn't take out more than you need in case you ever want the gas for a stove.
sorry to hear about the ankle, I hope it is just a sprain and not a break an exray might be worthwhile to make sure the bones are ok. my girlfriend's daughter did the same thing and has to go into surgery today ! they are putting some pins or something in so she's scared of course, but you don't want it to heal wrong. that's more important than your cabinets!
Phil

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I hope you are weathering well in the storm, Jen. We've still got some light snowfall and wind blowing all over. We had to fetch our empty recycling bin early on before it wound up at the neighbor's.

I hope this didn't delay anything with the cabinet progress. They really look great. The waves...so many twinkling waves!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Wow those are some mighty handsome pieces - I just now noticed the drawers /drawer pulls which are just like what you see on vintage office furniture - wondering if these might have come from a library or school or something?? Saw something kinda sorta like those once that came from a department store - glass doors on top, drawers/doors on bottom.

Looks to be some kind of label or plate on the upper piece above the glass door - any clues there as to its origins?

And more importantly as I think about doing a road trip (or several).... do they have any more :wave: