When chatting with strangers...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: When chatting with strangers...

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I guess we're lucky with recycling in Vienna - everything you can drag to the tip is free (up to one cubic metre per person and day). There's something like ten tips spread across the city so you never have to go really far. If you're lucky they'll also let you drop more stuff or make several trips a day.

Contractors have to pay so I guess it's not a good idea to rent a truck from a contractor friend for a tip run :D

The people at the tip can be a bit odd - some have vastly inflated egos and will actually crawl into your car telling you what goes where, others are more relaxed. Some actually couldn't care less about regulations - one of them told me to put asbestos cement into the construction debris skip (for plaster, bricks, tile and stuff like that)!

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Lily left the valley wrote:I have some hand written recipes from my Nana, and I think I still have one that's actually handwritten from my mom somewhere. I also have hand scribbled recipes in margins in one of my cookbooks, and have a few written from an ex years ago. I also went through a stage where I tried every cookie recipe in my Fannie Farmer cookbook one at a time each Sunday, then made notes about them after.

JacquieJet, I'll see your Mammy and raise you my Scandinavian cookbook with recipes for whale meat (From the index: in brown sauce, cooked like venison, other uses).

That same book has directions as to how to freeze a bottle of Akvavit in ice.

Ahhh! That's wild! I've heard that endangered species are especially delicious... Ha!!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

JacquieJet wrote:
nhguy wrote:There's website I have bookmarked on my other computer that has hundreds of historic cookbooks going back hundreds of years. I made one called Birds Nest Pudding this week, we had lots of extra milk to use up. I miss cooking in our brick oven in the last two houses. The Indian Pudding never tastes the same in a conventional oven. I'll post the link to those cookbooks when I am back home and not in the office. My sister in law took all the handwritten recipes from their family and over a couple of years turned it into a cook book for the family member one Christmas.

Oh wow, I don't think I've ever even seen a brick oven! Must have been something!!
If you don't mind, I would LOVE that link! Thank you!

Here's the link for the cookbooks. http://www.hearthcook.com/aaCookbookindex.html

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Hmmm... almost makes me wonder about a vintage recipe section on this site... what do you all say, would you post old family (or otherwise) recipes?
Mick...

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

nhguy wrote:Here's the link for the cookbooks. http://www.hearthcook.com/aaCookbookindex.html

Thank you, Nh!!

Mick_VT wrote:Hmmm... almost makes me wonder about a vintage recipe section on this site... what do you all say, would you post old family (or otherwise) recipes?

And yes, I love that idea! I absolutely would post recipes :)
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

There are probably a bunch of historic food enthusiasts here at the HD. It sounds like a great idea.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

nhguy wrote:There are probably a bunch of historic food enthusiasts here at the HD. It sounds like a great idea.

I'm enthusiastic about consuming it ;)
Mick...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

JacquieJet wrote:And yes, I love that idea! I absolutely would post recipes :)

Hmm, what might we call the section? "The bakery?" "Mrs. Miggin's Pie Shoppe?"
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I would! It might take me a while with the move and all, but I think it's a grand idea.

Mrs. Miggins is definitely better than Mrs. Lovett's. :lol: (I hope someone gets that reference...)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Mick_VT wrote:
JacquieJet wrote:And yes, I love that idea! I absolutely would post recipes :)

Hmm, what might we call the section? "The bakery?" "Mrs. Miggin's Pie Shoppe?"

The Vintage Kitchen? That would cover a big section of time as some people like the 1950's while others think 19th or 18th century. One cookbook I own is Yankee Hill Country Cooking by Beatrice Vaughan, I believe she lived in East Thetford VT. The book was published in 1963 by The Stephen Greene Press in Brattleboro, VT. It's collection of very old recipes she collected, then put into book form. This is my favorite book for old New England foods. One my favorite recipes from this book is a steamed chocolate-maple pudding, which is actually a very moist chocolate cake made in a steamed pudding mold.