fall picture

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Mick_VT

Re: fall picture

Post by Mick_VT »

Eperot wrote:I bet that little stream under the covered bridge was a nightmarish rage during Irene....

You could say that. It was only after, when we saw the damage all around surrounding towns, that we realized that without the flood plain (where the photographer was standing) our road house would likely have not survived. The river diverted itself across the flood plain field and lost a lot of its anger there. Though there was some damage in town and we were totally cut off for a day or so, most here were not too affected. This fact was shocking in retrospect!

This is the first branch of the White river, 5 miles or so South it meets the White River proper. Many villages like Royalton and Bethel suffered millions of dollars of damage. People's entire homes washed away. In South Royalton, the bridge over the white river is twenty or thirty feet above the river normally but during Irene water ran over the road deck!
Mick...

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Vermont Strong, baby. My brother and I are fairly obsessed with VT. I'm certain at least he will retire there one day, and the thought is tempting for me as well.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

What a wonderful place to live Mick.