Period Appropriate Porch Lighting

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Period Appropriate Porch Lighting

Post by Corsetière »

I'm not really sure how to research exterior lighting that would be contemporaneous with my house. There seem to be a lot of resources for interior lighting but I'm not finding much on exterior stuff. I don't know the exact date of my house, but it's definitely late victorian. Any suggestions?

Mick_VT

Re: Period Appropriate Porch Lighting

Post by Mick_VT »

Sears catalogs - I think there are some links in the Library area here
Mick...

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Rejuvenation makes nice fixtures, and used to be organized by era. Just looking at their site now, though, it looks like they are becoming a "Restoration Hardware" knock-off. I didn't see nearly the range of reproduction period lighting that they once had. That's disappointing. Still, there are some to choose from: http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/cat ... hting/wall

I bought the Sherwood for my porch:

Which, by the way, is now appearing in the "clearance" section. There is also a lantern version called the Amity: http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/pro ... hite-glass

Chris

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

If it's the foursquare in your avatar, pretty much any light from the 1910s or 1920s would work. Most exterior lights on houses like yours were single bulb fixtures and were usually not as ornate as interior fixtures. Many had milk glass shades.

Some will probably hate me for this, but I'm not too crazy about Rejuvenation's fixtures (I have my reasons). There are a lot of original fixtures from about 1910 onward out there that can be had for little if you look around. Most of the time all they need is a little cleaning and some fresh wire.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:Some will probably hate me for this, but I'm not too crazy about Rejuvenation's fixtures (I have my reasons). There are a lot of original fixtures from about 1910 onward out there that can be had for little if you look around. Most of the time all they need is a little cleaning and some fresh wire.

I agree, if you are handy (which we know you are Corsetière) and can refurbish originals you will get them for a lot less cost. Getting matching sets can be tricky if you go the original route - but they are out there. I have found matching sets of 1890s gas arms that I have converted to electric before. :)
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I agree that most weren't very ornate or fancy. Just a light over the door, probably basically a canning jar.
something like this :

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.35-i ... 41670.html

maybe if it's a fancier home it had more but I'm sure that's all mine was. Newer bases are easy to get. I replaced mine just to make sure it passed code and the old one is pretty much the same only with a porcelain socket. if you are up there changing it , check the wires that feed it , they are often worse for wear because the wiring is sort of outdoors and maybe subject to differing environments. Mine were a fire waiting to happen. if a fire happened there it would be likely you wouldn't smell smoke until it was well on it's way so its one I'd check if you are on K and T still.

You can get all kinds of repros and a lot of them are much more ornate and it's a personal choice. it's probably not too hard to find an actual old canning jar if you like the simplicity. maybe stick a fancy repro filament bulb in it?

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

I have a really basic one bulb fixture with a milk glass globe shade on there now, possibly the original fixture. I was just hoping for something with more light and a little more decorative. What do you guys do for automated dusk to dawn lighting too? I was hoping I could put in one of those light sensitive screw in sockets, but I'd need to swap out my shade because it makes the bulb too long to fit over the new socket.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Mick_VT wrote:
1918ColonialRevival wrote:Some will probably hate me for this, but I'm not too crazy about Rejuvenation's fixtures (I have my reasons). There are a lot of original fixtures from about 1910 onward out there that can be had for little if you look around. Most of the time all they need is a little cleaning and some fresh wire.

I agree, if you are handy (which we know you are Corsetière) and can refurbish originals you will get them for a lot less cost. Getting matching sets can be tricky if you go the original route - but they are out there. I have found matching sets of 1890s gas arms that I have converted to electric before. :)

Yeah, I need to start going to the flea markets a lot more! :D

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

Corsetière wrote:I have a really basic one bulb fixture with a milk glass globe shade on there now, possibly the original fixture. I was just hoping for something with more light and a little more decorative. What do you guys do for automated dusk to dawn lighting too? I was hoping I could put in one of those light sensitive screw in sockets, but I'd need to swap out my shade because it makes the bulb too long to fit over the new socket.

I also have the single bulb globe fixture. (house built in 1902) Although mine is more of a frosted glass, than a milk glass. I believe mine is original, because: the glass is heavy, you can see imperfections in the glass, and the glass matches the globe on the interior light fixture, in the foyer.

I don't turn my porch light off. I have a CFL bulb in there, and it's been on for about 2 years, now. When it eventually burns out, I guess I might try a LED bulb. But, I don't know if that will last as long, due to being in an enclosed fixture.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

JRC wrote:
I also have the single bulb globe fixture. (house built in 1902) Although mine is more of a frosted glass, than a milk glass. I believe mine is original, because: the glass is heavy, you can see imperfections in the glass, and the glass matches the globe on the interior light fixture, in the foyer.

I don't turn my porch light off. I have a CFL bulb in there, and it's been on for about 2 years, now. When it eventually burns out, I guess I might try a LED bulb. But, I don't know if that will last as long, due to being in an enclosed fixture.

Thats what I did when I was on vacation. I hope it didn't jack up my bill too much. I try to be energy efficient when I can but safety is a concern too...