What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by WildGeeseLn »

1806 Colonial wrote:I finally finished the bed I have been working on. I've been waiting about a year and a half to put furniture back into this bedroom I refinished but had refused to do so until I made a new bed. (Gutted and renovated a bathroom, painted the ell, and had 3 acres logged and have been cleaning up in the meantime.)

I didn't want a full pencil post bed because I would have to move the hanging electric candle chandelier. I made it to look like an antique pencil post that may have had the tops cut off due to damage or not fitting with ceiling height.

Now I can move on to do the next bedroom. :dance:

Bed (640x360).jpg

Jeff

Hi 1806 Colonial,
I'm catching up on this thread and I saw the picture above and was wondering what paint color you used on your trim? I have fresh, unpainted white plaster walls (which I will post photos of, as they look nothing like dry wall, to add to the debate ;) ) and I'm having trouble finding a nice ochre/yellowish toned trim color that doesn't look crazy yellow next to bright white. Actually it seems like every trim color I choose, blue, green, yellow etc. all looks SO much brighter next to the plaster than on the cards. I am struggling with the paint-selection process for the trim :? I'm used to deep, craftsman wall colors with dark stained trim like the house a grew up in, and all the bright trim with white walls is throwing me off my game.

Thanks!

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

Hi Wild Geese Lane.

The Historic Collection by Benjamin Moore has colours that are a little subdued, and not as pure/bright as the regular line. I'm in Canada, so the naming/range of products may be different ?

There is also a brand of paint called C2 - and I LOVED their palette. I found them to be complex and perfect. The quality of the paint was also excellent. However, this brand was more obscure and seemed to be not widely available, after my local paint store stopped carrying it when they changed owners.

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

Wild Geese,

The color is Danish Pine by California Paints. It is from their historic collection developed in conjunction with Historic New England. According to their website they have a couple dealers in Maryland.

Olde Century and Ben Moore have a couple nice ochre colors.

Jeff

WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Post by WildGeeseLn »

Thanks Jeff and lovesickest, I will look into those. I'm in the boonies so I mostly have Sherwin Williams or Lowes as options nearby, but I know SW can mix other lines like BM paints. Thanks!

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

12647455_1059932340694632_4663588369739861342_n.jpg
12647455_1059932340694632_4663588369739861342_n.jpg (65.36 KiB) Viewed 512 times

Took 9 years to find one that wasn't painted and fit the space. But I finally got an old oak medicine cabinet for the upstairs bathroom.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Very nice!

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

I'm a very strange person. Ever redo a room just so you'll have a place to keep a musical instrument? The darned things are taking over my life. Oh well. I love that bass. But I still need a proper guitar stand for my main squeeze.

Don M

Post by Don M »

That's a fine looking instrument, handsome room too!

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Hey Jeepenstein... It's all about that bass, 'bout that bass (no treble) ;)
Sorry I could not let that go...

Fine looking instrument..
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I am back to trying to finish the second floor bathroom. All the tile work is done and I placed the order for the glass for the shower. Yesterday I thought I could have a quick little project and clean and paint the bath closet but it turns out that they wallpapered even the closets!! Yikes! So I managed to get most of the wallpaper stripped in the closet and now I need to do a little plaster repair before I can paint. Lol! All I wanted was to put away some towels where they belong. Why does everything turn into a major project?