Lucky Find

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Lucky Find

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hi folks. I thought I'd share a rare bit of good luck I enjoyed while dismantling the log house. I picked a chain out of the dirt, and at first glance it looked like costume jewelry. I tossed it in a cupboard for a few months and only pulled it out because I remembered it had a little clip on it that would be useful. Had a closer look and saw some marks. Looked like it said 10k. That was a surprise! I still doubted it though, because to me it had an odd shade of gold. Acid testing proved it to be genuine. It's 50 inches long. Pre 1933, because it is made by Dingwall, which merged and became Birks after that date. A fun find! ---Mal
dingwall guard chain.jpg
dingwall guard chain.jpg (87.78 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
chain.jpg
chain.jpg (292.13 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Lucky Find

Post by Manalto »

You struck gold! Nice find.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Great find Mal, all I ever find are rusty nails. A fashinable flapper must have been upset when she discovered her necklace was missing.will it pay for getting that new old extension on the home? How is that project coming along.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Ha ha...not quite. Re the addition; we finally got the drawings sent to us. They will need some changes, but at least now we can apply for the permit.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Neat find!

Nice to hear about the progress too.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

How neat to find something like that!

I'm like Gothichome... all I ever find are handmade rusty nails, too.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

that was a lucky find. Nice chain. I keep wondering about nests made by rats. at times Ive had to clean up rats nests from other places and found all sorts of shiny things, hence the term pack-rats. I keep thinking that some of us may have little cashes of who knows what in some pretty obscure places as a result of time and their desire to collect. I had a friend with Christmas lights along his eves. the raccoons would go and unscrew them and take them away to play with. I was there to see one stick his little hands down and unscrew one of them. I was surprised at the intelligence and dexterity it took to figure out how to unscrew them. Smart little bandits. Then there is Canuck the crow, Our local celebrity. he stole a knife from a crime scene, he took a ride on our transit system..skytrain and has had so many interesting encounters he has quite a following.