Western PA beauty

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Western PA beauty

Post by Old house lady »

http://www.northwood.com/property/116998303/syn/43/

So, do we pool our resources? ;-)

Love the woodwork!

IMG_0460.JPG.jpg
IMG_0460.JPG.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 681 times

IMG_0482.JPG.jpg
IMG_0482.JPG.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 681 times

unknown (1).jpg
unknown (1).jpg (889.11 KiB) Viewed 681 times

unknown (2).jpg
unknown (2).jpg (785.16 KiB) Viewed 681 times

IMG_0550.JPG.jpg
IMG_0550.JPG.jpg (70.7 KiB) Viewed 681 times

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Western PA beauty

Post by Willa »

I saw that on Old House Dreams. What an incredible house, for $ 80,500.00 . Anyone up for an Old House repair collective ?

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I saw it on Dreams as well.

I'd love to join the collective, but right now I'd only be able to add to the sweat equity division. ;)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

actually the walls look bad with paper peeling but that probably isn't so hard. at least no one ever painted in all the beautiful woodwork. at least not yet!

Willa

Post by Willa »

Seriously, it looks like a lot of wallpaper failure but I don't see anything terrifying. So much that is excellent and intact. That may be my Old House Goggles though (similar to Beer Googles).

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I can't fathom the circumstances under which a family would leave a home like this, basically abandon it...imagine all the birthdays and holidays and meals and weddings and births that happened here.....what a gorgeous home!
...jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Yes, isn't that home a thing of beauty. I have saved the link in the reference section with the other one for prosperity and reference. Thanks for posting OHL.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome - best to download the pics and save those as when the link expires the info is gone.

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

heartwood wrote:I can't fathom the circumstances under which a family would leave a home like this, basically abandon it...imagine all the birthdays and holidays and meals and weddings and births that happened here.....what a gorgeous home!
...jade

This house is in the rust belt, not too far from me. While the details vary, the basic story is often the same for these kinds of houses, in the rust belt.

The last family to love the house often reluctantly leaves, maybe because of financial reasons, (e.g. can't afford to heat the place) or because the neighborhood starts to change around them. Because they are motivated to sell, or because the market won't support higher prices, they have to sell cheap.

Often, they are sold to an investor, who doesn't care about the house, other than being a source of income. Then, they rent the house to people who also don't care about the house. Inevitably, the house descends into disrepair, and the tenants become more and more desperate.

Eventually, the house needs more work than the investor is willing to pay for, and they sell it to the next investor, who may inject a few dollars into making needed repairs, and repeat the cycle.

Finally, some much-needed monumental repairs make the house un-rentable without major investment. At this point, the house is either rescued, or falls into complete abandonment. If the neighborhood is coming back, the house will probably be saved. If the neighborhood is still declining, the house may continue to deteriorate, following the cycle described above, until it's eventually abandoned for good, the city declares it a nuisance, and it's demolished.

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

Somewhat related to my post above, here is the Renner Mansion, in my neighborhood: http://www.allthingsyoungstown.net/renn ... index.html

Thankfully, the owner cares at least a little bit about the place.