Window treatments

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Window treatments

Post by JRC »

I couldn't find a thread about window treatments.

In an attempt to add day and night-time privacy to my living room, I put up some sheers:

While I'm a designer by trade, I'm not an interior designer, and so I think I could do better. But, I'm not exactly sure what the best options would be. In this case, I don't really care for the frills at the top of the sheers. I have frilly sheers in other rooms, but the rod is at the top of the frame, and is not as noticeable. Also, I think the length is wrong, and the sheers should either stop at the window sill, or go to the floor, to match the length of the curtains. (although, I think going to the floor would be a bad idea here, because the tension rods holding the sheers are between the interior stops)

The length is easy enough to change, for someone who can sew. (I can't, but know people who can) But, are there some non-frilly options for the top of the sheers, that are somewhat old-house-appropriate? I'm thinking of looking for sheers with grommets, or using cafe-curtain clips. Thoughts?

And please, share your window treatments!

Sinoed
Knows the area

Re: Window treatments

Post by Sinoed »

The curtains are frilly on the top because you have extra volume there (probably 1.5x the width of the window). You could look for cafe style sheers which would work, I don't think I've ever seen one with grommets before.

Since you don't like them there isn't much to lose if you want to try a small project. You can trim the length (and the width) to the right size using a sharp pair of scissors. If you don't know how to sew for something like this you don't really have to. Just buy yourself a roll of heat adhesive tape (it looks like this stuff: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/heatnbond-l ... 0111967179). Essentially you just roll it out and iron - it works like glue and is pretty straightforward. Since you'd be tackling this on shears - you're going to see the "line" wherever you glue (although the tape is fairly clear), so keep the hem very small (3/8") and close to the windowsill/frame so you can't see it.

I have curtains on a few of my windows for privacy. On the windows I have shears that go to the top of the windowsill and on the exterior doors they fall close to the floor. They are all a bit frilly on the top but I don't know if that's what they looked like originally.

I've been eyeing the reproduction lace panels from Bradbury (http://www.bradbury.com/lace.html) but they're pretty pricey. It would be nice to see a historic photo with window treatments in it. :)

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Here's some... maybe not quite what you have in mind though :P
Attachments
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (678.7 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Mick...

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

I hate frills, and I got these inside mount ticking stripe roller shades. They are extremely minimal, USA made, do not cover up my nice window trim, and don't look out of place in an old house.

https://www.countrycurtains.com/product/040147737c+insulated+ticking+stripes+clutch+roller+shade.do

I don't have to worry about daytime privacy though.

Grommets on the main curtains and grommets on the sheers might be a lot...grommets on such thin fabric might not look right either. Some cloth ties or tabs might work and are less frilly.

1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks for the replies!

I think I like the tabbed sheers best, although I hope they won't look too out of place.

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

I've taken out the top ruffle from a set of rod pocket sheers like what you currently have pretty easily by just taking out the line of stitches between the top ruffle and the top of the rod pocket. It depends a bit on exactly how they're constructed, but usually sheers like this have a rod pocket created by two horizontal hems/lines of stitching. Usually if you take out the top hem/line, then the ruffle just becomes part of the pocket and the curtain hangs an inch or two lower (depending on the width of the top ruffle), and then the top of the curtain sits directly on the curtain rod. It's a good option if you don't want to have to buy new curtains.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

JRC wrote:Thanks for the replies!

I think I like the tabbed sheers best, although I hope they won't look too out of place.

Your pondering made me realize I know very little about historical curtains, so I did a quick search and found these two articles.

The first is US based: http://www.designsponge.com/2011/03/past-present-history-of-curtains.html

The second is a more world history based, but UK site: http://www.designsponge.com/2011/03/past-present-history-of-curtains.html

I was trying to find the history of tab top in particular, and I found it funny that I've seen them labeled both "country" and "modern" on different sites. Being from a theatre background, all the blacks (masking drapery) I've ever worked with were tab tops. I was taught that they were made that way to help keep the cost of the velvet drapery down by just that wee bit.

So I suppose for the frugality alone of that style, it does work well for both country looks as well as minimalist modern.

I saw you mentioned not sewing much, but it seems there might be enough in the length that to both add the distance for the tabs as well as shorten those curtains to fit inside the sill, you may have enough fabric already for those you know who can sew to made tab tops.

Looking forward to seeing whatever you decide upon.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

JRC

Post by JRC »

Again, thanks for the suggestions and links!

Instead of modifying the sheers I have, I'll probably keep them for possible future use, and just buy new tabbed shears. I'd consider modifying them if they weren't so cheap.

JRC

Post by JRC »

Bump!

I've grown used to the frilly shears in the original post. I still may get some tabbed shears, though, someday.

But, I have a new question. I'm thinking I want to order some vintage style roller shades for my bedroom windows. Does anyone have experience with companies that specialize in them, like: http://www.annwallace.com/roller-shades/ or http://www.thehandwerkshop.com/ Do you have any additional suggestions?

I don't want anything too special, (no stencils or scalloping) but I like the option of the crochet ring and the traditional look of the yellow/gold cotton colors more than vinyl.

I would like them to be inside mount. Has anyone mounted their shades with the hardware above the pulleys?

Thanks for your help!

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

FWIW - I remember finding some instructions and making my own a couple decades ago - taking a cheap vinyl roller and removing the vinyl, leaving the wood roller, then stapling on the right length of fabric that I had stiffened with some kind of iron-on fabric backer & then a narrow strip of wood sewn into a channel at the bottom to keep them flat and hanging straight. They actually looked quite good and lasted for a long time - got sick of them long before they wore out. Im thinking it might be possible to just find fabric with the right degree of stiffness & flexibility.

Those authentic vintage looking shades do look awfully nice though - with the scallops and all they might be difficult to DIY.