What would you offer for this cupboard?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: What would you offer for this cupboard?

Post by Lily left the valley »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:There's no shortage of antique furniture on the East Coast, that's for sure. If you're patient and look around, you can often find nice pieces through secondhand outlets, auctions, and estate sales. I've found pieces from the 1700s in secondhand shops before. Just this past weekend my wife was calling me to come and pick up a beautiful European solid oak wardrobe cabinet measuring 6 feet across by 8 feet tall that she found at a secondhand furniture dealer. The piece isn't as old as most of our furniture (this one's maybe 1880-1890), but it's styled much in the manner of earlier pieces from that region. The price she paid was less than the asking price of this kitchen cupboard.

I did find a site that lists local estate sales, but they're tucked away for after we settle in for a spell. I came to realize when I started seeing some bits click in my head that I have absolutely no idea what to do in other places, and it will probably be a long while until some rooms really come to shine. They'll be suffering from lack of everything, and only holding our frequent move furniture we've had for a long while now.

I've thought about taking a snap shot of the slightly grinning smile and putting it in my wallet, so anytime I am tempted to step outside the tools/interior stuff budget, I'll remember there's bigger project we have planned too. ;-)

Oh, and now that you've described the piece...you will post pics, yes? :eusa-pray:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Lily left the valley wrote:

Oh, and now that you've described the piece...you will post pics, yes? :eusa-pray:

I'll try to get pics up this weekend. I was planning to post it in the Antiques section.

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:

I'll try to get pics up this weekend. I was planning to post it in the Antiques section.

Can't wait to see it! I also have to admit that I emailed about the chairs you found. No answer yet, but crossing my fingers!

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

I saw this today at the ReStore for $250. Someone took (vintage?) hardware and built an imitation antique using Made in China wood from a shabby chic piece (it had fake wormholes pounded into it). They sanded off the paint and left it raw. The pieces are not attached and no apparent way they ever were (no brackets & no bracket screw holes). But all in all not a bad job. It's all solid wood, mortise & tenon doors and lots of finishing nails on cabinet (no staples). ReStore 2-pc. cabinet
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Lily left the valley

Is that...faux woodgrain shelving paper on the counter piece? Or did the wood have a veneer that got wet?

This definitely is an interesting find. I've thought about using bits of older pieces, which isn't exactly what they did, but still.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Lily left the valley wrote:I
This definitely is an interesting find. I've thought about using bits of older pieces, which isn't exactly what they did, but still.

That very much appears to be how the bottom half of my 1920s built-in was made
Mick...

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Lily left the valley wrote:Is that...faux woodgrain shelving paper on the counter piece? Or did the wood have a veneer that got wet?

No. That's what happens when one doesn't sand with care. I'm guessing they used a belt sander and didn't keep it moving while sanding.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Olson, to me that cabinet looks like it's been dipped, with maybe some finish sanding. Actually it looks like an honest early 1900's kitchen cabinet. The knotty wood suggests it was originally painted, as you would expect for kitchen furnature of that period. Now I admit the key plates would be a bit odd in ther period. If wasn't meant to be together, I think I would keep it as a pair, paint it and use it as a kitchen cabinet. If no body asks there would be no reason to mention it.

Lily left the valley

Mick_VT wrote:That very much appears to be how the bottom half of my 1920s built-in was made
That's kinda neat! I come from that stock of folks from the Depression era grandparents on both sides, so it's part of where my mindset grew from. My dad was more the "plan project, go buy materials, make it" sort. The one time he attempted to refinish a certain set of end tables, he got the stripping part done, but my mom never made up her mind on the finish, so when they were handed down to me there were still at that stage. That reminds me...I need to re-find the info on dealing with condensation rings from drink glasses. :lol:

Olson185 wrote:No. That's what happens when one doesn't sand with care. I'm guessing they used a belt sander and didn't keep it moving while sanding.

I just...can't even imagine someone doing that, and I took shop class in grade school! So I've seen some pretty interesting things.

Gothichome wrote:Olson, to me that cabinet looks like it's been dipped, with maybe some finish sanding. Actually it looks like an honest early 1900's kitchen cabinet. The knotty wood suggests it was originally painted, as you would expect for kitchen furnature of that period. Now I admit the key plates would be a bit odd in ther period. If wasn't meant to be together, I think I would keep it as a pair, paint it and use it as a kitchen cabinet. If no body asks there would be no reason to mention it.
With all the Instructables and related "How To"s these days, I see all manner of piece togethers (good and bad). I'm sure back in the day folks did the same, they just didn't have social media to leave evidence of the process. There's a cabinet in the cellar of the bungalow that seems like a piece together. I'm still trying to figure out what it was before. The other cabinet down there might also be a "made from what's around", but it wasn't as obvious.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Gothichome wrote:Olson, to me that cabinet looks like it's been dipped, with maybe some finish sanding. Actually it looks like an honest early 1900's kitchen cabinet. The knotty wood suggests it was originally painted, as you would expect for kitchen furnature of that period. Now I admit the key plates would be a bit odd in ther period. If wasn't meant to be together, I think I would keep it as a pair, paint it and use it as a kitchen cabinet. If no body asks there would be no reason to mention it.

What do you mean, "dipped"?

Re: the key plates in upper cabinet, there are no keyholes in the wood (never quite understood why people would do that).
~James