should I buy this cupboard?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Re: should I buy this cupboard?

Post by Kashka-Kat »

What kind of wood, is the original layer shellac or paint?

I have an old maple cab fromthe 20s =maple was considered paint grade then - original layer was not shellac or varnish, but gray paint. As Im removing the top layers of white Im discovering I like what remains of the gray - its very worn with lots of maple showing thru. Think I will leave it like that!

Anyway I love your piece - has very nice proportions and details - love that top cut-out piece - looks like someone was showing off their jigsaw skills (or however the heck they cut it).

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: should I buy this cupboard?

Post by phil »

oaktree wrote:
phil wrote:inside maybe you could just put a kettle and let it be its own steambox?

That is interesting! Have you tried this?

Not personally but others have remarked about making steam boxes to strip sashes and such and it seemed to me that since the thing closes up all would need to do is put a kettle in and close the door and maybe give it an hour or so and then see if it seems to make it easier to scrape? since it seems to be kind of flaking anyway maybe the steam would help things along , also you could still try to use a heat gun.

one disadvantage is that it could also make any hide glue joints come loose. like glue blocks and such.
hide glue is still available and preferred by some antique restorers. if veneer is lifting it can sometimes be removed and reapplied or pressed back down with an iron and maybe a damp cloth. with things like chairs the hide glue joints can be steamed apart , repairs done and reassembled but once you go using epoxy or carpenters glue the joints become more permanent. One might view the more modern permanent glues as less serviceable.

here's a good blurb on hide glue.
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier ... eglue.html

because of the date of the piece I would think they would have used hide glue, so be careful with the steaming idea. I don't' know if it was a great suggestion now considering it could make glue joints come apart.

Phil