The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Manalto »

Ron, just saw your comment. No, I didn't want the tiles - they're not really my taste nor would they suit my house very well but I thought I would share because I found them distinctive and unlike anything you can buy today.

Lately I've been on somewhat of a light fixture binge. Yesterday, I picked up a ceiling light for the smaller bedroom, although it may be a little bit posh for a simple house.

This one's Craftsman aesthetic appealed to me. I considered leaving its patina but decided instead to lightly buff with steel wool to remove the grime and bring out the texture and details. It's my understanding that bare-bulb fixtures such as this are from the earlier part of the 20th C. Does anyone have an idea of an approximate date?

The same seller of the brass ceiling fixture asked me if I would be interested in this window:

It has ruby glass and opalescent bullseye in the corners and the remaining panes are stone. I vaguely remember seeing windows with stone panes in a church. I thought it might be good as an insert in a window that gets hot afternoon sun.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Manalto wrote: Lately I've been on somewhat of a light fixture binge. Yesterday, I picked up a ceiling light for the smaller bedroom, although it may be a little bit posh for a simple house. This one's Craftsman aesthetic appealed to me. I considered leaving its patina but decided instead to lightly buff with steel wool to remove the grime and bring out the texture and details. It's my understanding that bare-bulb fixtures such as this are from the earlier part of the 20th C. Does anyone have an idea of an approximate date?

Welcome to my life. I must have 200 fixtures stored away. I wish I had the knowledge of Ross from the Cross House so I could restore them...

Manalto wrote:

The same seller of the brass ceiling fixture asked me if I would be interested in this window:

It has ruby glass and opalescent bullseye in the corners and the remaining panes are stone. I vaguely remember seeing windows with stone panes in a church. I thought it might be good as an insert in a window that gets hot afternoon sun.

That window is awesome. I'm sure it would look great in the sunlight. Those faceted jewels are beauties!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

You did get the window, didn't you?
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote:You did get the window, didn't you?

I did. It needs repair. I suspect it had been stored upside down because the top rail is badly damaged from termites but I think it can be filled with epoxy. There are also some trim pieces missing that hold in the panes; there's no putty on this window. The wood appears to be oak. I'd like to keep it natural but the top edge of the rail will be epoxy filler.
I'd like to come up with a way to mount it in that west facing window so the window can still function because it would be nice to have the sun on winter afternoons or open for cross ventilation in good weather. Maybe in a frame with hinges along one side so it could be swung out of the way like a door? Haven't figured that out yet. A stone window is unusual enough to make it worth the effort.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

James that window.. maybe just trim off an inch and glue on a new piece. You might cut a tongue and groove into it. Its not really exactly right as the new piece would then cover the top ends of the stiles but once painted it would not show much and perhaps be more stable than that much filler?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, Stone? Is that a form of slag glass. I have never heard of such a thing.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote:James, Stone? Is that a form of slag glass. I have never heard of such a thing.

Not glass, stone. It's porous so maybe it's marble? I'm delighted to be the one to introduce you to something you've never heard of!

I vaguely remember seeing stone windows in a church or cathedral. The soft glow of sun through stone definitely creates a tranquil mood. Also you might find the Beinecke Rare Book Room at Yale interesting:

https://beinecke.library.yale.edu/about ... chitecture

(Sorry about the vocal fry narration.)

Incidentally, I hope you don't mind me hopping onto your thread about details but it occurred to me that maybe the small stuff that I come up with belongs here.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

No problem James, if I was not affraid of being hit by lightning crossing a church threshold I might have seen stone windows.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

That's pretty cool, I have never heard of stone being used in windows either.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Time to update a few finds from a month or so ago, I thought I had posted them but nope.
This is a mid to late Victorian Bristol Glass vase. As Bristol glass vases goes this is very large one.

Also found an Indian tree pattern serving plater to go with our Coalport porcelain set.
Imagel
Unfortunately it is not porcelain and not Coalport. It’s Johnson Bros. Iron stone eighteen inches wide, it should hold a decent sized roast of lamb.
The smaller server in the picture is Coalport though, to those who have no eye for the detail differences between them it will be un noticed as different.