The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Manalto »

I like 'Indian Tree', whoever the perpetrator.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

As mentioned in another thread, here are the two chairs that were donated to Gothichome.
Not sure of the age of either chair. The fist is a late Victorian early
Edwardian. The second I believe to be a twenties revival.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Ron, thank you for compelling me to look at the aesthetics of something I might not have otherwise considered. That upper chair demonstrates a care in design and craftsmanship that I find really appealing. It has a handsome, dignified presence. It also looks like it would be comfortable.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well, o’l Ron has been at it again. I have been off work for the Christmas/New Years period. I should be working on Gothichome, but no, out antiquing instead. Found this, another Victorian Bristol glass vase.
And today I bought this Victorian bud vase at a local farm auction
Also, I must have been a good boy over the year, upper management bought this Queen Victoria jubilee commemorative plat for Christmas

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I feel afraid just looking at your delicate treasures. How people who are not clumsy manage to keep these items undamaged for more than 100 years just confounds me. I would be afraid to breathe - let alone sneeze !

The Bristol vase in particular has some lovely colors.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, yes it does. Most Bristol vases were actually made in Bohemia or Czechoslovakia or in smaller numbers,France. The term Bristol glass has become a catch all term for this style of glass do to the fact that a lot of these things passed through the port of Bristol England. Bristol in the Victorian era had no glass blowing at that time although up to late Georgian period they did have a thriving glass industry.
I think my latest find is a later production, it has a polished Pontil, my others have a broken unfinished Pontils.
The bud vase is also a later production, the glass is a bit thick, earlier vases and epergnes were much thinner and daintier.
The commemorative plate, these were a bit of mass produced souvenirs although over the years their availability has diminished greatly.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, got an antique mystery on my hands. A couple weeks ago upper management found and bought this late Victorian/Edwardian case at a local thrift shop. Made of full grain leather it still maintains its stiffness.
The reason she bought it was the local connection to the area, that and the travel labels.
Now to be honest this type of things gets me all excited about the research. An antique with a history also has a life and that’s one of the reasons I like antiques.

On researching, this fellow lived a life of either adventure or wealth, probably both. He travelled first class and so did his luggage.
The Strand Hotel
opened in 1901 as a very high end hotel catering to the travelling European of means. It still is in operation in Rangoon Burma now Yangon Myanmar. He travelled first saloon or what is first class on the British India steam ship Landaura
from Rangoon to Singapore. The Landaura was scrapped in 1912 so this places the luggage before then.
Now Chatham at the turn of the century was a busy place but it still had rural roots. Places like Burma and Singapore were about as exotic as you could get for most. I am still researching this Cecil fellow but I have found his wife Elfi, she is buried about 10km away. He seems to be a bit of a challenge to track down though.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, the boards have been pretty slow of late and our antique hunting treasures are in need of updating. So I will start with this very Eastlake brake front china cabinet we found just this weekend.
It’s walnut with leaded glass. Stands eight feet tall and a bit over five feet wide. Late Victorian but in the Aesthetic style.
Notice the hint of A&C on these doors with the Dutchman motif.
It has all the classic Eastlake elements, the Dresser inspired flowers, fluting, spoon carving.
And of corse no piece of Victorian furniture is complete with some acanthus leaf carvings.

chocolatepot
Settling in

Post by chocolatepot »

Be still, my heart! That china cabinet is magnificent. Did it come with shelves that are just not pictured, or do you need to make them yourself?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Chocolatepot, yes it has all its shelves. The creamy white colour in the interior is paint. I am in the process of striping (only the interior) and drinking back the original black japanning. I find the japanning a bit unusual but that’s how it was made. The porcelain will really stand out against the black though.