Does anyone recognize this bookcase design?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Does anyone recognize this bookcase design?

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

My wife recently picked up a couple of oak bookcases that have an interesting design for adjusting the shelves. There are a series of half-circular cutouts in the front and back on both the left and right sides. The cutouts hold a removable wooden bar in the shape of a tongue depressor that is about 1/4" thick. The shelf sits on top of these bars.

This design is unique enough that I feel like someone would have patented it. Does anyone know if this is attributed to a specific company? Both bookcases came from the same place and I would date them at the early 1890s, as there are a combination of square and wire nails used in the construction. I have a feeling these are just before the stackable "elastic bookcase" era of makers like Wernicke, Macey, etc.

Pictures of the setup are below:

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Does anyone recognize this bookcase design?

Post by mjt »

I have several built-ins in my house where the shelf adjustments have a similar design. See this post on my blog for photos: http://fixfarrington.blogspot.com/2013/09/old-school-shelf-supports.html

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

mjt wrote:I have several built-ins in my house where the shelf adjustments have a similar design. See this post on my blog for photos: http://fixfarrington.blogspot.com/2013/09/old-school-shelf-supports.html

Interesting to see they were used in other applications besides office furniture. They must have been available for cabinetmakers to purchase like any other piece of hardware.

By the way, nice work on the house!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Not sure they would have been patented, they look to be pretty straight forward. Our book case has V notches for the shelf rests.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I feel like I have seen these in various places from built ins to free standing furniture. Even a medicine cabinet once
Mick...

Shrimpdip
Knows the area

Post by Shrimpdip »

My parents have a secretary top that uses the round ones. Mine uses these to support the shelves

"How will we know it’s us without our past?" -John Steinbeck

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Shrimpdip, I have some like that in my study built-ins as well.

ZoraQ
Settling in

Post by ZoraQ »

mjt wrote:I have several built-ins in my house where the shelf adjustments have a similar design. See this post on my blog for photos: http://fixfarrington.blogspot.com/2013/09/old-school-shelf-supports.html

Ditto for my bungalow as well. Circa 1914. They work pretty well. They were missing in my buffet so I replicated the design for some replacements when did the restoration on it.

Diane

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I love the idea. Its a nice way to get away from using the standard hardware for shelves and easily replicated. Ill keep this in mind because it could easily be used in a new build and it adds some uniqueness without going to a lot of work or expense.

Phil