Antique Radiators?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Re: Antique Radiators?

Post by WildGeeseLn »

Thanks everyone for the input. Also, I did just get the private message and responded...I guess I did have to log in for it to leave the outbox :)

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

TexasRed wrote:
Old house lady wrote:Tried to send this as pm, but it never left outbox....

PM's stumped me in the beginning... I believe a pm remains in your outbox until the receipent logs into the forum. Then it is sent to their inbox.

Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken

That is correct, it is an oddity of the forum software we use
Mick...

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Mick_VT wrote:
TexasRed wrote:
Old house lady wrote:Tried to send this as pm, but it never left outbox....

PM's stumped me in the beginning... I believe a pm remains in your outbox until the receipent logs into the forum. Then it is sent to their inbox.

Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken

That is correct, it is an oddity of the forum software we use

Makes sense - thanks!

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Lily left the valley wrote:What about a Habitat ReStore?

I don't know if they take radiators, but from what I'm to understand, they have all sorts of building supplies. We have one near here, but we haven't made time to go see what it offers yet.

Our local ReStore had about 8 banks of 12 priced at $10/section ($120 ea. bank) but none had any decorative features (most likely newer castings that came from a commercial/municipal bldg.).
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Ireland House
Been here a while

Re: A.ntique Radiators?

Post by Ireland House »

just a quick reminder to anyone looking at old radiators. They can be resized and have damaged cells removed. There is a special tool that does this from the inside. Our steam guy does this all the time as he probably has the biggest collection of old radiators in midwest and rehabs them for old buildings.
Today is my happily ever after.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

When I was looking for some replacements for a couple of busted radiators, I ran across two businesses that repair and restore them. If you cannot find anyone locally who will take them, I think the guy in Boston might pay for them to be shipped to his shop...at least they would not go to waste then...

http://www.antiqueplumbingandradiators.com

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Corsetière....this guy in Boston is a legend. He's been in this same spot for at least 20 years. I used to drive by his place on the way home every night.

Old House, I'd be interested to know the size of the grey one (the 2nd picture). I have a missing dining room rad :(

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

Wishing you were closer. I too have missing window seat radiators and will probably have to go with new ones for some of the windows. P. O. removed window seat in master bedroom to replace radiator with a 1930's style one that is too tall. The rad probably leaked and they did not want to mess with fixing it. GRRRR! :evil: I have spares for my taller ones as they put radiators in the attic. We will probably never use it as living space, so that loop is disconnected from the boiler. Who needs a four story house? I have a hard enough time cleaning three floors! :crazy:
Today is my happily ever after.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

SmellyHouse wrote:Corsetière....this guy in Boston is a legend. He's been in this same spot for at least 20 years. I used to drive by his place on the way home every night.

Old House, I'd be interested to know the size of the grey one (the 2nd picture). I have a missing dining room rad :(

I had a long conversation with him and was considering sending mine out to him but timing was tight and I found some replacements. I did keep the old ones in the garage though for future rehab etc... :)

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

I used the guy in Boston several years ago when I restored my bathroom. Mine was busted so I got this one from him:
RadRad.jpg
RadRad.jpg (293.14 KiB) Viewed 699 times
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow