should I buy this cupboard?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: should I buy this cupboard?

Post by phil »

If you want to take it off try heat gun stripping. pick an old worn putty knife or if you have a new one round off the corners and any sharp edges with a fine file so it doesn't scratch the wood. If it has shellac under, Shellac has a low melting temperature so that will help strip the paint if it does. also you can use methyl hydrate or wood alcohol to wash any remnants of the shellac off to get to bare wood once you have most of the white off. . If you can lift the paint without scratching into the wood itself , it'll make finishing easier.
it could be that they sanded prior to painting and the white paint may or may not dissolve in paint stripper but I'd use a heat gun. the stripper will turn the white pigment back into liquid and it'll flow into the cracks more so I'd try to get what I could off first, maybe you could use liquid stripper later on the fussy little white remnants. I'd try alcohol first. you could. take some chips to do a little experiment and see if they will dissolve in alcohol or water or stripper. some milk paints are hard to strip especially if there is no shellac. I'd try to see what you are dealing with before you go to it.

interesting that they used old crating for the drawer bottoms. some history. They were recycling even then.

I think it's a really nice piece. what kind of wood is it?

Phil

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Nice Oaktree! ....as far as lead paint goes ... just don't lick it ;-) :thumbup:
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

phil wrote:
I think it's a really nice piece. what kind of wood is it?

Phil

Thanks so much, Phil!

I am not sure if it's all the same wood. The decorative trim at the top looks like poplar, but poplar would be pretty soft for the main part of the cupboard. I think stripping it won't be too bad...the paint is already coming up...only the inside is going to be a pain!

Since I plan on using this for storing most of my dishes, I'm willing to put in the effort to do a nice job. :) I can't wait!
Last edited by oaktree on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Duffy666 wrote:Nice Oaktree! ....as far as lead paint goes ... just don't lick it ;-) :thumbup:

Thanks! Will avoid! Though I'll have to be careful while drinking beer and stripping paint. :P

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

if the inside is not crazed like the outside just encapsulate with a fresh coat of paint, no need to strip unless it is failing
Mick...

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Mick_VT wrote:if the inside is not crazed like the outside just encapsulate with a fresh coat of paint, no need to strip unless it is failing

Unfortunately, it is pretty crazed and flakey on the inside. I don't think I can paint over it without it looking bad, but it is coming off quite readily. Maybe it won't be that bad to strip off all the loose paint.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

inside maybe you could just put a kettle and let it be its own steambox?

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

phil wrote:inside maybe you could just put a kettle and let it be its own steambox?

That is interesting! Have you tried this?

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Love that cupboard! I hope you will post pictures once you have it in the kitchen.

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Removing paint with steam has been tried with some success. This article mentions using a garment steamer:

http://thecraftsmanblog.com/how-to-stri ... team-heat/

More Info:

http://www.oldhousejournal.com/magazine ... peed.shtml

I have never tried it buy now I am wondering...