Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Mick_VT

Re: Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Post by Mick_VT »

Lily left the valley wrote:Ran some errands, finally picked up that chair I'll be working on, sat down with a cold soda and opened the listing for the bungalow to see the for sale had been changed to pending.

First I tried the selling realty # since the agent I met with had said she'd be away this weekend. Straight to voicemail. Then called the agent I had met with anyway though I really wasn't expecting to catch her, and when I got her voicemail I asked her to call me when she could.

No idea what to do now. I've heard you can still make an offer while a sale is pending. Yet spouse hasn't seen inside first hand yet.

If the sale is considered pending, there's no more showings, right? We were hoping to go see it Thursday when spouse will be off from work. :think:

Will depend on the State laws. Up here in VT once you have decided to enter into negotiations with a buyer you have to see that through to completion, Which means agree to sell or decline. You can't accept other offers / switch buyer while that is going on.
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Mick_VT wrote: Will depend on the State laws. Up here in VT once you have decided to enter into negotiations with a buyer you have to see that through to completion, Which means agree to sell or decline. You can't accept other offers / switch buyer while that is going on.

Good to know. The explainer on Zillow says pending just means "in some cases, they will still accept backup offers". We had a quick chat about whether we would try to do that so as to possibly stay at the top of the list if the current fell through.

I'll look further for MA specific info for such if I can't get ahold of our agent on the morrow.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

That's more brown than gray, right? :whistle:

That does look a lot like masonite to me! I'm not sure what I'm looking at though - is that a broken piece of siding or something else sticking out between two "shingles"?

Not saying it doesn't exist but I do have to say I've never seen asbestos siding or shingles with pressed patterns like that, that was usually vinyl, so I'm leaning more towards masonite anyway.

Lily left the valley

Texas_Ranger wrote:
That's more brown than gray, right? :whistle:

That does look a lot like masonite to me! I'm not sure what I'm looking at though - is that a broken piece of siding or something else sticking out between two "shingles"?

Not saying it doesn't exist but I do have to say I've never seen asbestos siding or shingles with pressed patterns like that, that was usually vinyl, so I'm leaning more towards masonite anyway.

Thank you for the input. :angel: Some of the images I've seen of asbestos versus maso have been hard to see what the patterns are, so that's good to know.

That pic is one of a handful of sidings I found where it seems like the backing has separated somehow and is slowly making its way down. I'm guessing from some of the higher up pieces that are cracked/broken, moisture came down and helped that along.

I think some of it has been that way for a long time, as other places I found broken the portion of the slipping backing closest to the siding piece seemed it might have been discolored by the paint they just slapped over it when they did the green, and that made the backing facing look grayer. I gently pulled a bit of one of those off, and the back of the tiny piece was much more brown than the front. Of all the pieces I've touched, I've never had that thousand teeny splinters feeling I used to get when I'd accidentally grab a can's asbestos sheathed cord without gloves on. I'm not sure if that ever happens handling the backing of asbestos tile, but it's a feeling I know all too well from the cords.

I know for sure that some of the tiles I found on the front porch are Masonite. One of them, the front faux finish completely fell off, but the backing remained. It's very brown.

I'm wondering too, if it's possible that either the tax card is just dead wrong, or they started with AC, then did replacement pieces with the Masonite later.

I also got a fairly good look at the front porch yesterday while examining siding (and looking for a certain kitty)...some rotting and all out missing bits around the columns. I still can't figure out why they have the three on the right hand side facing the home so oddly spaced. Next door has a full six (instead of the 5) columns across the front of that porch, but the spacing is even. So one missing maybe, and whomever did that wonky spacing was feeling artsy at the moment? :think:

Now we're in the holding pattern with the pending with another buyer, but this is great news as far as I'm concerned if the pending falls through and we might still have a chance.

One of my errands today was to drop off and get some new books at our local library. 3 of 4 I brought home are about bungalows--including a Stickley book I was stumbled upon while looking for another.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

Sorry to hear the house sale is already pending to someone else. Hopefully, something works out, eventually! :crazy: :mrgreen:

Lily left the valley wrote:I also got a fairly good look at the front porch yesterday while examining siding (and looking for a certain kitty)...some rotting and all out missing bits around the columns. I still can't figure out why they have the three on the right hand side facing the home so oddly spaced. Next door has a full six (instead of the 5) columns across the front of that porch, but the spacing is even. So one missing maybe, and whomever did that wonky spacing was feeling artsy at the moment? :think:

I saw that, too. My guess is that this house originally only had 4 columns across the front. But, I don't know why they added the 5th, in the middle; maybe there is a structural reason, or maybe they just wanted to have narrower front stairs, and used a column to support the railing? Also, from the pics, it looks like it matches the rest pretty well.

Lily left the valley

Got a call back from our realtor yesterday. The bungalow already has five backup offers on it already (what is it with five lately?) Apparently those who made the first offer also offered full price, so it looks like that one is as good as gone. Will still keep an eye out.

Realtor also gave addresses to two properties he thought we'd like to see. When spouse showed them to me, given my recent search, the addresses sounded familiar. Both, during our first meeting where he asked for our "wants", are in an area we had nixed because they are almost an hour's walk from downtown, and one has to cross a badly planned area around a traffic circle or go way out of the way to get to a safer bridge (through an area sans sidewalks on some properties).

One had a decent sized plot, the other is a home crammed on a postage stamp completely surrounded by other homes. Both are older builds, but with so few images on both it's hard to tell what's what. The one that had more than one pic is the one that's on a postage sized lot as well.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if he's even listening to us. I know he wrote notes when he first asked what we wanted, and I know we clearly said "nothing below the 2 (as in route 2). :eh:

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Of all the pieces I've touched, I've never had that thousand teeny splinters feeling I used to get when I'd accidentally grab a can's asbestos sheathed cord without gloves on. I'm not sure if that ever happens handling the backing of asbestos tile, but it's a feeling I know all too well from the cords.

I don't think you'd get that feeling with asbestos cement, the fibres are pretty solidly embedded in the cement. I've handled a few asbestos tiles (they're considered totally harmless unless they break) and never felt anything. The main difference between asbestos cement and masonite is density and hardness though - fibre cement is rock hard and doesn't flex at all while masonite is fairly soft and springy. Masonite is also much lighter than cement, that stuff is surprisingly heavy!

Lily left the valley

Texas_Ranger wrote: I don't think you'd get that feeling with asbestos cement, the fibres are pretty solidly embedded in the cement. I've handled a few asbestos tiles (they're considered totally harmless unless they break) and never felt anything. The main difference between asbestos cement and masonite is density and hardness though - fibre cement is rock hard and doesn't flex at all while masonite is fairly soft and springy. Masonite is also much lighter than cement, that stuff is surprisingly heavy!

Good to know on all counts. Thank you.

~~~
Jumping ship a bit, we went to look at a 1915 Dutch Colonial Revival today. Some lovely bits, and a decent lot to the sides at least. It's a very tight fit front to back with the property next door and sidewalk. There were some definite head shakes.

We weren't expecting much, knowing it was a short sale and it's on one of the main streets though set back a bit. (To be fair, it was very quiet inside with the windows closed.) We thought it couldn't hurt to look, as the pictures on the listing were enough to get our interest. I know I'll be watching their curbside in the future given what's in the basement and garage alone--we didn't get to look in the attic.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 14#photo13

Here's the front:

And a fitting fixture in the kitchen: Image

Tiny gallery of all but one non listing pics, most of the :o variety: http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/app.php/gallery/album/23

We'll be looking at another place on Saturday, a 1950 Cape with a largish lot for this area although the home is jammed all the way to the one side of such. Remuddled, though I'm learning to close my eyes to certain bits of such and try to imagine what could be there. Spouse just likes all the land and the two full bathrooms. When we talked about that one while coming home from the Dutch, he asked if I could "make it (the cape) more interesting". I kindly refrained from asking, "What's my budget?", and instead just said, "Of course I can."

From my understanding of the market here, there may be a few more non foreclosure related listings this month, but then it will wind down until after holidays and worst of the winter passes. Spring is a boom listing time here.

I'm thinking about starting a special money tin stash for 42 in the meantime, trying to build up the funds for a possibly all cash offer next year. (Hmm...thinking about the other money stash thread...I do actually have a metal American flag motif lunchbox. Maybe that will do. :lol: )

Lily left the valley

I just need to rant, and then I'll feel so much better. :doh:

I thought I'd try something different in my search to make sure I wasn't overlooking something obvious on the RE here.

First, I tried to do a search for any properties for sale with the word "bungalow" in them. 3 results out of the 117 homes. Then I tried craftsman, 0 returns.

Then I thought, "Well I know Cape and Colonial are predominant for single families here in town, so let's try searching the sold homes." The results were equally dismal. (I do want to point out that for the multi families in town, Gardner has a wealth of Foursquares.)

Then I cleared the search term and just started checking every single family property that has sold recently that was newer than a 1960 and was under $170,000. I'm now almost through the second page of the right column of listings--sold October 30 2015 when I finally woke up from my confused daze and said to myself, "Welp, I've learned something today".

Apparently to almost every listing agent in town, if something isn't obviously a Cape, it must be a Colonial. If it's not obviously a Colonial, it must be a Cape. Unless, of course, it's a Ranch. They seem to get the only allowance on being themselves. As to Victorians, even humble Vics are called Capes and Colonials. Only the fancy ladies get the Crown. We really don't have any moderns here. The MCM ranches are pretty much as close as we get. New builds are Ranch, Cape or Colonial.

Except...there was a really, really strange listing for a 1920 home. "Colonial Victorian". It's what started to wake my brain up a bit. (Some of these sold listings no longer have images, so I had no idea what they looked like.) The porch, really, was what made me suspicious at first. I'm not really familiar with many Colonials or Victorians with doubled column supports across their front open porches. Then I looked inside.

It was an Arts n' Crafts home, which I managed to confirm from the lovely woodwork on the ceilings in that oh so familiar pattern (despite the extra trim added to "Victorian it up a bit" in a few rooms); and the few built ins that didn't get ripped out in the remuddle. Every last window was replaced, so that was no help since they could have just resized the holes when they added the new shiny plastic. Oh, sure, some PO did their darndest to make it look like a mish mosh of Colonial and Victorian...right down to the furniture inside when the photos were taken. :lolno:

And then...I saw this 1925 built home labeled as a "like new Colonial."
What's worse is that the tax card has it labeled "Cape".

That's when I had to come here and vent.

Now I have, and I can get back to looking again with a lighter heart and less of a desire to send every last person involved a primer in basic architecture styles.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

So I went to Realtor.com and decided to check out this Gardner Ma, filtered to single family, and 51 years older. There are quite a few 1800's to early 1900's homes for sale. Anything from a creek to a parking lot in the back yard. Many have 1 bath but that is how people lived back then. There are a couple of as is and fix ups that caught my eye.

Many appear to be within your budget from what I have learned here, but I know hubby wants space and 2 baths.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House