1870 Tri-Gable Victorian Farmhouse?

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Vined Porch
Settling in

1870 Tri-Gable Victorian Farmhouse?

Post by Vined Porch »

Hello all!
Having been a long time lurker on Oldhouseweb and member of Wavyglass ,although I think I only posted once as we were still looking for our forever home, I still visited everyday and learned a lot from all you knowledgeable people , So I thought I better finally introduce ourselves :wave:

My husband and I bought our current home late in 2013 and have slowly been working on it to try to bring back some of its original charm that was lost in the downstairs when it was updated in the late 40s and 50s by the longtime PO.We were lucky that the upstairs still retained most of its original features although it is still a very plain Victorian, but we love it!

I'm really not sure what style to call it hence the above title ,the inspector called it a tri-gable Victorian .
The main part was built in 1870 and added on we think in about 1900 as that was when the front porch was added and we discovered the original front entrance threshold which is now a wall ,when we removed layers of flooring and 1950's baseboards. We have old but not original wooden windows and we wondered if at that time they would have originally been 2 over 2 ? as we would love to replace with salvaged ones in the future.

I would love to post pictures but I seem to be technically behind with the times and unsure how to post them :oops:
Anyway I've probably rambles enough for one day but just wanted to say Hi and thanks for all your knowledge .

Mick_VT

Re: 1870 Tri-Gable Victorian Farmhouse?

Post by Mick_VT »

Welcome Vined Porch, great to have you hear, and really nice to hear more about you.

Do you have pictures on your computer? Perhaps I need to write a "how to post pictures" article
Mick...

Vined Porch
Settling in

Post by Vined Porch »

Thank you Mick for the welcome.

Yes I do have photos on my computer and I might be able to post from there or do I need to use a third party site? I think that's where I get confused , I tried messing around with google+ photos but couldn't work out how to resize from there so I'm sure I'm making it more confusing than it needs to be ;) I will persevere and check out your new post on pics..thank you !

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

they don't need to be on a remote site like flickr, though you can link to those too. If they are on your computer you use the "attachments" feature below the submit button when composing. Give me a shout if you get problems.
Mick...

Vined Porch
Settling in

Post by Vined Porch »

Winter
Attachments
front.jpg
front.jpg (525.57 KiB) Viewed 647 times

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I like the stick details on the porch. Pretty house!

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

I do like that porch, very interesting, a nice feature.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House