Hello from London, Ontario

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Margaret75
Just Arrived

Hello from London, Ontario

Post by Margaret75 »

I have been lurking for a while. I am a single mother with a teenage daughter. I work as an accountant. I don't have a lot of experience working with my hands but I am learning.

I always loved old houses, even as a child.

I purchased my first home about a year and a half ago. According to the tax records, it was built in 1897 and is just under 1500 square feet. Research at the local library informed me that the first owner was a cooper named James Pelver.

Given that the neighbourhood I live in was (and still is) a predominantly working class neighbourhood, my house isn't as grand as those many of you have, but I love it anyways. It suits my needs perfectly and has the stained glass windows, hardwood floors, high baseboards, high ceilings and character that is an old house.

I am not sure what style it is, but it is a very common style for the area and is made of the yellow brick, which I am informed, London, Ontario is known for.

I look forward to sharing my love of old houses with other like-minded individuals.

This is the only photo I have from the outside. It was one of the photos that were posted online by the seller.

Attachments
House
House
2528477a.jpg (110.19 KiB) Viewed 810 times

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Hello from London, Ontario

Post by JacquieJet »

Hi! I'm from ON, too- just outside of Toronto though. What a lovely home! Would love to see pictures of the inside, too!
A house doesn't have to be large to be wonderful :)
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

mjt

Post by mjt »

I love your house's simplicity. There's a certain elegance to it and it needn't be big to be beautiful.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome!
my house is only 1200 square feet and is in a small working class neighborhood too...I don't much care about keeping up with the joneses so i'm happy with my little place...glad to hear your house is appreciated by you...
if you're ready, willing and able, you will find plenty of advice and support here...
...jade

Margaret75
Just Arrived

Post by Margaret75 »

Thank you for the warm welcome. It is a small world and it's nice to know that there are fellow old house fans not that far from home.

It's only my daughter and I so a large house would be too much for us. When I was looking at houses, I remember looking at a 5 bedroom house. As I was walking through it, all I could think of is how I would be paying to insure, heat and maintain rooms that will sit unused 99% of the time. No thank you. I would rather spend my money elsewhere so I opted for a smaller house that gave us enough room to grow but still ensured regular use of all rooms.

mjt

Post by mjt »

Margaret75 wrote:It's only my daughter and I so a large house would be too much for us.

Smart decision.

With the third owners of our house, the wife lived here by herself from 1949, after her husband died, to 1984. She had servants, but still...

We bought the house from the fourth owner. She was recently widowed and their four kids were grown so it was too much house for her.

Now that I think of it, the first owner passed in the house and the second died of an untimely street car accident before his widow sold the house. It's not looking good for me... :doh:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome to the District Margaret, you have a fine home there and it looks to be in great shape. Yellow brick, ya, don't know why it is so prevalent in the London/Guelph corridor. There must have been a rather large brick factory some were in the area using a local clay supply. Down here in Chatham, there are a few mostly to the east towards London.

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

Welcome! I am looking forward to seeing what's inside!

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Sweet house! I hope you post pictures of the inside. Don't you just love the details that were included in all houses, regardless of their size. Our house was originally only about 1100 sq ft, but has wonderful details inside. That is what I love about old houses.
Welcome aboard.
Diane

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Another name on the not-too-big house roll! As papa of a 756 sq ft bungaloo, welcome to the bretherenhood!

Cheers!
Chaz