Yet another new member

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Renovationscars
Just Arrived

Yet another new member

Post by Renovationscars »

I found this site because I stumbled on a seven year old posting posting by heartwood on making a steam box. Thanks!

It looks like this site if populated by my kind of folks. The old house kind.

As to my history I have been playing with old houses for about forty years now. First one built for the war effort in 1941, then one built before 1840 that we still live in. Then a circa 1900 project house built as a rectory for the first Catholic parish in town, and the last one was circa 1785 or so. I have seen the inside ofmany a wall and am familiar with windows painted shut and rotten sills. The day job is clean and very different from doing restorations.

At this point in life I don't think I'll take on another project but I do enjoy seeing the work of other folks and maybe I'll have something to contribute at some point.

Thanks for having me come on board. It will take a bit to catch onto the nuances of this platform so if I screw up please be patient.

The Username is Renovationscars but I sign my mail,

Vacek

Gothichome

Re: Yet another new member

Post by Gothichome »

Vacek welcome to the district. I sense there may be very little we can offer In advice with such an old Home portfolio as yours, I bet you have some interesting old home stories to share along with experience based solutions, they are always appreciated. With the stories add pictures, we love pics here.
Ron

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Yes welcome to the group. Lots of great ideas shared here. Being on this board has made my renovation work easier with the many tips and tricks others post.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Welcome, Vacek! :wave:

It's always nice to have another folk around that appreciates old homes. Even better when they've had some experiences to share as well.

As to pictures, yes, we like those. Before pics, WIP pics, after pics, Oh noes! pics, stuff that goes inside the house pics, stuff that grows outside the house pics--all sorts of pics. Anytime you happen to have some to share, please do! You can start your own gallery here if you need a place to host them. There's some how to info posts about galleries and posting images from your gallery in the Clerk of Works subforum if you're not familiar with doing such.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

welcome Vacek, I dont think it matters how much you are doing currently. If you have an interest in old homes, which you do you meet all the requirements ;-) lots of us have lives too and we dont always just work on houses. I myself like old tools ,old machines, old cars, mostly old volvo's. antique furniture, antique radios and almost anything old with a cord that plugs in. like others have said we like pics even of past projects and sometimes it is also fun to discuss ways and means of doing things. I'm working on my living room , a friend gave me some old fir flooring that was worn from sanding, and torn out of another old house so I'm milling it to about 1/4" strips without the tongue and groove with the idea of making wainscot strips to go around my living room up to about eye level. It takes a lot of material so I'm trying to sort of fake my way by slicing it thinner. I think we all have a lot of plans and ideas but as you know things take time and some ides can't come to fruition as quick as we think them up ;-) I hope you take time to share some of your ideas and experiences.
Phil