1900s American Foursquare

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: A Slightly Premature Hello

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Good luck with the offer!

Some of the pictures didn't load, but the ones that did, I'm seeing a mid 1910s to early 1920s foursquare that appears to have a lot of its original features intact.

That garage appears to be original to the house, though the door on it looks to be from the '80s. Garages from the early days of the automobile are fascinating. I can't be the only one who loves period garages as much as I do houses.

chocolatepot
Settling in

Post by chocolatepot »

Thanks! From the Sanborn maps, it seems to have been built between 1905 and 1910. I don't think the garage is original, as it's not on the maps (which the LoC has for Oneonta up to 1916), but it's definitely old. Could be 1920s or 1930s?

I went back and replaced the photo hotlinks with uploads to the site's gallery - hopefully you can see them now!

1918ColonialRevival

That front door with the egg-and-dart molding is in several of my millwork catalogs from around 1910, so that goes along with the maps you found. I couldn't see it or the entryway before.

The garage is likely circa 1920, plus or minus 5 years. If your house was built circa 1910, the automobile was still a luxury item then, so garages were usually only constructed by those who were well off. There were only about 450,000 automobiles registered across the country then. Compare that to 3.3 million in 1915 and 8.1 million in 1920. With automobiles came the working-man's private garage. To the point that they began to be included in a lot of plan books by the late 1910s. Most of that era were single-car, though the two-car garage was common in my neighborhood.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that landing window may have originally had leaded or stained glass. If the lead came was damaged, a lot of people removed it and just replaced it with a sheet of glass. This was done to the sidelights of my front door in the 1950s when the lead came deteriorated to the point that it fell out.

Good luck - fingers crossed this one works out.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like a lovely home from what I can see so far.

I hope things go smoothly for you with this one. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

You can add my best hopes as well, the work needs more old home lovers.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Ron means, "the world needs more old home lovers." (His proofreader is on summer vacation.)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, the proof reader between the ears is not so good either.

chocolatepot
Settling in

Post by chocolatepot »

I'm very happy to notify you that the seller and I came to an agreement! We haven't signed the contract yet but at this point it's basically a done deal.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

chocolatepot wrote:I'm very happy to notify you that the seller and I came to an agreement! We haven't signed the contract yet but at this point it's basically a done deal.
Woo! :dance:

More pics when you get a chance, please. I know how crazy things can get once one gets to contract, so no pressure as to when.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

1918ColonialRevival

Sounds encouraging! Good luck with the rest of the process!