Tudor style home in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
WayneAlan
Just Arrived

Tudor style home in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley

Post by WayneAlan »

Hello all,
I just happened to stumble on this forum and figured I'd share my new home with the group.
After looking for several years I've finally found my "New" old home. I closed last week on this late 1800's Tudor style home. I've been busy cleaning and painting in preparation for the move. There are a few projects that I have in mind, but the house was loved by it's former owner, and is not in bad overall condition. I am looking forward to the journey and in gaining some knowledge from the others in the group!

Wayne
IMG_20190905_114423_01.jpg
IMG_20190905_114423_01.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 500 times

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Tudor style home in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Welcome!

Your house is really nice looking and has a lot of potential. A word of advice from a seasoned old house warrior - if there are no emergency repairs that need to be done, live with the house as-is for a few months and get to know it before tackling any large scale projects. You'll become more familiar with its personality and you'll likely end up adjusting priorities on what needs to be done.

If your house was built in the late 19th Century, it saw a major renovation circa 1925-35 into the styling you see today. Just as it is today, some people took houses that were 40-50 years old at the time and completely re-designed them. Or, it's possible there was another house on this site before this one and the deed was never updated. This particular interpretation of Tudor Revival styling borrowed some elements from other European styles and was all the rage in house magazines and plan books in the second half of the 1920s and the first half of the 1930s. If the house has a basement, this is where you can see signs of its true age and determine if it's an older house dressed up in 1920s fashion, or if that's when the house was actually built.

Good luck on your journey!

nhguy
Stalwart

Re: Tudor style home in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley

Post by nhguy »

Welcome. A nice looking place you have there. I second what 1918 said. Our house a bungalow was originally a Victorian with two towers. I photos of the original house. The basement framing tells you it was a much more substantial house once. The attic, if you have one, would be the second place to look. You could also check with your local historical society or library to see what they can tell you about the house. Relatives of former owners is another place with great insight. Every house we've owned, relatives of all sorts have stopped to say hello.