I Took the Plunge!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
MJ1987
Been here a while

Re: I Took the Plunge!

Post by MJ1987 »

Just thought I'd share a photo from the Memorial Day weekend. Found this old 48-star flag in the ceiling of the basement of a house where I was doing architectural salvage. The house was from the 1890s and yielded some great stuff. Was sorry to see it go, but I'm glad I saved what I could. This flag was rolled around an 8' piece of bamboo. I did a little research and it seems that it was likely after 1920 because of the straight start pattern (48-star flew from like 1912 to 1949). I imagine it's still early--maybe 20s or 30s--based on stitching, fabric, and lightweight/thin nature. It was too fragile to fly "as is" so I backed it with a canvas tarp and some spray adhesive. I know you're not "supposed" to fly a tattered flag, but boy this one is a beauty with a story to tell. I didn't have the heart to drop it in the box at the local American Legion.... It's still flying with honor and respect!
Attachments
IMG_1513.JPG
IMG_1513.JPG (1014.01 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Update time:

Upstairs: Everything is done except for the bathroom. I still have to find a shower ring, faucet, and riser setup that will LAST. I cannot stand doing things twice. The info I've gotten on many points to the fact that they're thin and inexpensive--built more for a quick fix rental-type of situation than something permanent. Suggestions on a quality setup would be appreciated.

Main floor: Walls painted, floors either done or in progress. Radiators were just taken to the sandblast/powder coater. Woodwork still needs oiling/waxing in the front room. The staircase is done and treads have been oiled/waxed. Windows are all restored and back in. The kitchen project is mine for the summer. Hoping to get good use out of my compound mitre saw and a new table saw. I'm a little nervous about a few things, but I think I'll be up for the challenge. The photo below is of the built-in I salvaged and will modify and reinstall in my little alcove/former closet space.

The stove is also done and I'm going to see it on Thursday. It was cleaned and electric ignition and safety system added by The Stove Lady in Yonkers, NY (1940s Western Holly with double porthole ovens).

Exterior: Also, simultaneously, I'm about to have all the exterior siding removed and the original clapboard underneath sanded, filled, sanded and painted. I did all the windows myself, so at least I help cut that cost. Still, with all the prep work, it's a pretty penny. But I'm SO excited. I think the before and after is going to be so positively dramatic.

Pray for me...
Attachments
IMG_1523.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG (511.57 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
Matt

-Edwin Markham

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

My prayers have gone out for you, Matt.

Congratulations on your remarkable progress. The transition from siding to clapboards is going to be dramatic. It's going to look great.

That 'porthole' stove is going to be a real conversation piece.

That built-in cabinet was a nice find and just right for your house. I read somewhere that cabinets didn't have a space at the bottom in the early part of the century.

Looking forward to more photos!

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

That cabinet is wonderful! I've been looking around at Hoosier cabinets for my own kitchen, but then when I found one, I found that the size would not be as good for my microwave as I had been hoping for. I found a new "china cabinet" with some cottage styling and a nice stainless top for not too much money, so I went with that. https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/a ... n1teovfp-4 I hope to match my new kitchen cabinets to it when I finally get around to buying them.

Are you looking for plumbing for a clawfoot tub? This company seems to get good reviews, but I've not seen their stuff in person: https://www.vintagetub.com/
1939 Minimal Traditional

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

GinaC wrote:That cabinet is wonderful!...

Are you looking for plumbing for a clawfoot tub? This company seems to get good reviews, but I've not seen their stuff in person: https://www.vintagetub.com/

Thanks, Gina. I'm crazy about original details, so this one should fit well into the spot for which it's bound. It will, however, require some modification. Though I can do a fair amount of finish carpentry myself, I'd kill to have someone in which I had confidence.

Re: the shower stuff, that's good to know. I was also looking at Signature hardware website--anyone have any feedback on them?

We had beautiful weather this weekend so I worked for literally 24 hours out of 48--most of which was spent 30 feet up, pulling off the storm windows and removing aluminium from the wood trim. So far, I've discovered mostly solid wood with a few exceptions. Finish sash are in place, surrounded by decrepit paintwork on the wood frames. I've contacted both an asbestos remediation company and a painting contractor to work on the exterior, albeit nervously. There's LOTS of prep work to be done before any paint gets laid, so I'm awaiting the asbestos removal with both bated breath and extreme nervousness.

More to come...
Attachments
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG (610.71 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1563.JPG (503.11 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG (638.04 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
Matt

-Edwin Markham

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Gosh, I couldn't even tell that's what your windows looked like behind the storms! I really like the 3 over 1.

What a nice-looking family you have! Twins?
Bonnie

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Your windows are gorgeous! That green just looks amazing! From what I can tell from peeling paint, I think my windows and back door were painted that color at some point -- and I know it's ubiquitous. It's because it looks so good!

30 feet up is why I'm hiring someone to paint my house and refresh the storms. I told her I'd take care of the sashes, but the outside stuff is up to her.

I really wish I could remove my aluminum storm windows, but I really do need them, and I don't think there's room in my budget to get new ones.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, your sash work look spectacular. Jade will be looking to hire you.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Matt, your sash work look spectacular. Jade will be looking to hire you.

Yes, the window looks brand new. You did a really good job !

The cabinet is also really good. I love painted wood furniture like that - not fancy but very functional.

I'll be excited to see the transformation when the current siding comes off.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Gosh, I couldn't even tell that's what your windows looked like behind the storms! I really like the 3 over 1.

What a nice-looking family you have! Twins?

Bonnie--this is one of the things that drives/drove me CRAZY. I literally spent years restoring all these windows only to have them obscured by 1980s storm windows. The obscured view is another reason why I'm seriously thinking of replicating the sash-light pattern for the new wood storms. I should have enough old wavy glass to cut to size to do 3/1 storms (save for potential breakage). At least then the original 3/1 windows will be obscured by equally nice 3/1-pattern storms.

Those are my twin nephews! My brother, Mike (Ober), is sitting, holding Eddie and Luke is with our mom. Mike's wife is on the right. Thought it seemed like the right moment to "document" a before photo that might be fun to look at down the road!

GinaC wrote:Your windows are gorgeous! That green just looks amazing! From what I can tell from peeling paint, I think my windows and back door were painted that color at some point -- and I know it's ubiquitous. It's because it looks so good!

30 feet up is why I'm hiring someone to paint my house and refresh the storms. I told her I'd take care of the sashes, but the outside stuff is up to her.

I really wish I could remove my aluminum storm windows, but I really do need them, and I don't think there's room in my budget to get new ones.

Gina--Thank you! It's BM Peale Green. It's one of their HC colors. Under all the original white window sash paint was a coat of green. I really liked green for the sash anyway so it was an easy decision. Many of the frames were either green or...black...very confusing to me. Not all frames had black, which leads me to believe that different window frames were painted different colors. Why--who knows? I'm taking my pointers from the oldhouseguy and painting the trim and frames one color and the sash another. Peale for the sash and BM Oatmeal for the trim/frames. I *think* I'm leaning toward BM Van Buren Brown for the clapboard, but I like Marblehead, too. Two very different options!

Re: being 30 feet up, it's not exactly fun. But I use a ladder stabilizer that makes things less hairy. Also, my ladder is only made to stretch 30', so it doesn't reach the 40' needed to get to the peak. I'm a little bummed...but also not really :lolno: I absolutely need the storms on the windows. But I removed them so the frames could be prepared and painted. I'm probably going to have to put them back on, at least for a while until I can make the new wood ones. I'm not thrilled about it, believe me.

Gothichome wrote:Matt, your sash work look spectacular. Jade will be looking to hire you.

Whoa, whoa---let's not get carried away! But 'thank you' nonetheless. :-)

Willa wrote:Yes, the window looks brand new. You did a really good job !

The cabinet is also really good. I love painted wood furniture like that - not fancy but very functional.

I'll be excited to see the transformation when the current siding comes off.

Willa--Thanks! I was looking for something that fits the space. My kitchen will be a mish-mosh of 20s (layout, windows, floor, built-in), 30s (sink cabinet and Vitrolite glass tile), 40s (stove, fridge, butcher block cabinet, and Hoosier). The "perfect" amalgamation! :lol:

Everyone is pumped for the siding removal. I'm pumped but also nervous. You never really know what lurks beneath, right? Upon pulling off lots of aluminum I've discovered some wood bee, carpenter ant, and termite damage to the porch. Nothing appears to be of great significance, but I'm still leery (see photo). I'm praying all will be okay. I ask you to do the same! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Attachments
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1432 times
Matt

-Edwin Markham