Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Post by Lily left the valley »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:The "faux tile" was big in the 1920s and early '30s. You are absolutely correct that it was a less expensive alternative to tile. Through research, we discovered our kitchen underwent its first remodel in 1929 and was outfitted with it.

It sounds like you are digging through the years with the paint layers. The pink became popular in the Eisenhower era and continued into the early '60s. One of our bathrooms was re-done in Pepto-Bismol pink tile (even on the ceiling) around 1955. Before that, sea-foam green was the color of the '40s and early '50s.

Oh neat! I will try to look into the faux tile when I can.

I've read about "Mamie" pink before, so I wasn't too surprised to find some pink paint. The two different shade layers, though, was interesting to me.

It's funny, because when I think of sea-foam green, I think of the much lighter variant that was huge in the late 80s/early 90s. I found an interesting info bit in a footnote about using green in general during the 30s on Patrick Baty's blog.
This seems to be a hangover from Goethe, who said of Green:

“If yellow and blue, which we consider as the most fundamental and simple colours, are united as they first appear, in the first state of their action, the colour which we call green is the result.

The eye experiences a distinctly grateful impression from this colour. If the two elementary colours are mixed in perfect equality so that neither predominates, the eye and the mind repose on the result of this junction as upon a simple colour. The beholder has neither the wish nor the power to imagine a state beyond it. Hence for rooms to live in constantly, the green colour is most generally selected”. (Goethe’s Theory of Colours. Translated by Charles Lock Eastlake. 1840. 316.)

Back to the apartment soon to get the last bit of the stove. Sean did a run of some general stuff earlier. We might do one more run before it gets dark, but I keep reminding him that I'd really like to finish cleaning before we move anything else over. We're running out of floor space in the dining room again, and there's no room in the kitchen for boxes at all right now.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Seeing your post on the other thread about sink stains got me to thinking - did you look underneath for the cast date of your sink? The reason I ask is I suspect the house might be slightly older than 1935, as this look was definitely "dated" (I hate that term!) by then. When looking at your album, I thought the house looked more late '20s with its lingering Craftsman-inspired elements and emerging Art Deco influence in the door hardware. The neighborhood next to ours has a lot of bungalows and smaller Dutch Colonials that were mostly built in 1927-28. Of the ones that retain their originality, the interior trim, cabinets, staircase, and hardware are nearly identical to yours.

If 1935 is indeed the correct date, it's definitely one of the last of its kind that was constructed.

Lily left the valley

1918ColonialRevival wrote:Seeing your post on the other thread about sink stains got me to thinking - did you look underneath for the cast date of your sink? The reason I ask is I suspect the house might be slightly older than 1935, as this look was definitely "dated" (I hate that term!) by then. When looking at your album, I thought the house looked more late '20s with its lingering Craftsman-inspired elements and emerging Art Deco influence in the door hardware. The neighborhood next to ours has a lot of bungalows and smaller Dutch Colonials that were mostly built in 1927-28. Of the ones that retain their originality, the interior trim, cabinets, staircase, and hardware are nearly identical to yours.

If 1935 is indeed the correct date, it's definitely one of the last of its kind that was constructed.
Inside the kitchen cabinets were left filthy, so I hadn't looked yet. But now you had me curious! So I did the "point and pray" shooting method and this is what I found...
Image Image Image Image
So apparently it really is one of the last of its kind! October 18, 1935. (I don't know why, but I like the fact that the day part is upside down. I wonder if there was a reason for that.)
The Standard Sanitary Manufacturing Company was an American manufacturer of bathroom fixtures. It was formed in 1899 by the merger of the Ahrens and Ott Manufacturing Company, the Standard Manufacturing Company, the Dawes and Myler Manufacturing Company, and 6 other plants which were consolidated to form the Standard Manufacturing Company, headquartered in Pittsburgh, with Theodor Ahrens (Jr.) as its first president. He held this position, and others, until 1934.[1][2]

In 1929 the company merged with the American Radiator Company to form the American Radiator and Standard Sanitary Corporation.
Caption from the picture of their Louisville building: "The firm's brass finishing building in Louisville, Kentucky." wiki

Gardner is north of Worcester, the closest city, and is the county it's included with shares the same name. It's highest production time really hit in the early 20th Century. From wiki:
Named in honor of Col. Thomas Gardner,[3] the community was first settled in 1764 and officially incorporated as a town in 1785 after receiving land grants from the surrounding towns of Ashburnham, Westminster, Templeton and Winchendon.[4]:2 Dating from about 1805, it became a center for lumber and furniture industries. Gardner is known as the "Chair City" and "The Furniture Capital of New England", due to its long history in furniture production. By 1910 it had 20 chair factories which produced 4 million chairs per year. It was also noted for silversmithing. The Gardner State Colony for the Insane pioneered the use of cottage residences. Gardner was incorporated as a city in 1923.

Gardner is the birthplace of Heywood-Wakefield furniture, dating from 1826 when the five Heywood brothers began to fashion furniture in a barn near their father's farm. Brothers Walter, Levi, Seth, Benjamin and William began that year making wooden chairs. In the early years, Walter fashioned chairs by hand, also using a foot lathe. He was soon joined by his brothers Levi and Benjamin, part-time, while running a nearby country store. A new store was built across the street from the original store. In 1831 Levi moved to Boston where he established an outlet store to sell the chairs, while Benjamin and William remained in Gardner to manufacture the chairs. A fire destroyed the Heywoods' chair shop in 1834. In 1835 the partnership of B. F. Heywood & Co. was formed, composed of Benjamin, Walter and William, with Moses Wood and James W. Gates. Gardner was also the home of the Conant-Ball furniture factory. Nichols & Stone Chair Company traces their origin to 1762 in Westminster, Massachusetts. The company moved to Gardner at the turn of the 20th century. As of July 2008, it was announced they would terminate production. The Nichols & Stone name, the intellectual property and the design rights were purchased by the L. & J.G. Stickley of Manlius, New York.[5]
I had forgotten the bit about the State Colony of the Insane, and now I wonder if 42 might have been part of wherever that was. Some day I'll try to look into that further.

Speaking of deco, I haven't had time to check all the doors yet, but I just realized the downstairs bath has a similar, but not same doorknob hardware on one side, and the side bits seem to match that, unlike the other side, which is more typical to the house. I have not yet had time to research the former residents, but many in town were craftsfolk. So there is a large chance that they built what they loved, not what was considered trendy for the time. The two sets of bath sconces are also deco, as is the overhead in the kitchen. The bedroom lights, though, vary widely. I'll snap those another day. The parlor and library are new cheapie replacements. The dining only has a single bulb fixture at present (older). I just realized I can't recall what the overheads are in the baths. :lol:

Anyhoo...the hardware difference I found (parlor/dining; outer downstairs bath; inner downstairs bath:
Image Image Image
Last edited by Lily left the valley on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Lily left the valley wrote:
So apparently it really is one of the last of its kind! October 18, 1935. (I don't know why, but I like the fact that the day part is upside down. I wonder if there was a reason for that.)

It was a Friday! :-)

Lily left the valley

1918ColonialRevival wrote:It was a Friday! :-)
:lol:

Here is my "Floor Manager", stirring our first supper cooked on our new-old stove: soup. (I told him about all the "upper management" references, and asked him what his title should be. That's what he picked.) He kept goofing off when I first got the camera with big cheesy grins, yet the only shot that came out ok is one where he looks half asleep. The rest are likely blurry because he had me laughing so hard with his goofy faces.

We somehow managed to leave behind the hardware needed to attach the top to the body of the stove. :doh: With this weather, we decided it wasn't worth going back--two blocks' walk or not! Soup was perfect, both with the weather, and our current lack of fridge. We watched the first two episodes of "Feud" while happily eating our soup and crackers.

He did get called in yesterday, but there was a mixup and the carrier that tried to call out came in anyway, so he was home almost as soon as he got back (for here in town, so not far thankfully). The good part about that is when he returned, he parked closer to the street edge, which makes for less to be shoveled. We've been trying to wait out the winds, but they're just not stopping. (He was in bed hours ago.) He is working today, and made sure to talk to the PM direct so no driving all the way up there and then turning around.

We did get some things organized a bit more, talked a bit about what we want to go where. When I showed him the marine green, we decided that we will most likely repaint the parlor with it to some degree. We'll worry about the details later, but one color decided--yay!

Oh, and where the smoke detector used to be in the dining room, I found paint history! But forgot to take a shot. Later.

Speaking of that color...here is the parlor closet/upstairs hall linen closet photos I meant to post before.
Image Image Image

The library in progress:
Image Image

I did check the 1/2 bath upstairs, and it has the same configuration of door hardware as downstairs. I do wonder if the reason for that is they are the only ones with turn locks. Everything else is keyhole on either side (and still no sign of the keys anywhere.)

The ceiling lights in both bathrooms are currently like the dining, an older single socket and nothing more.

Since we went through things a bit today, I didn't get as much cleaning done as I wanted. Part of the problem was I of course forgot that leaving a stove in a garage for months means it will need more than a touch-up cleaning once it is removed and put in place. :oops:

I see so much cleaning in my future. :whistle:

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I'm almost sure your switches are just mis-wired, that's easy to do! A switch like that has three terminals, Common and two for the travellers (that's why it's called 3-way in the US). The travellers are two wires that usually run just from one switch to the others. One switch has the permanently live (hot) wire connected to the C terminal, the other a wire running to the light fixture, only hot when both switches are in the correct position.

Swapping one traveller and the common will give just the result you described. Have a look at the switch boxes, likely the various wires will be part of different cables so you can sort-of guess what goes where. If you take pictures I can help you guess :D

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

"The husband was a freebie from the family we bought the stove and half hoosier from a town over. "

- think I laughed so hard I peed just a little.. then I realized I read it as two sentences like this:
"The husband was a freebie from the family. We bought the stove and half hoosier from a town over. "

Its funny either way , and he seems like a nice guy, making soup for you. How cool !

Phil

Lily left the valley

Texas_Ranger wrote:I'm almost sure your switches are just mis-wired, that's easy to do! A switch like that has three terminals, Common and two for the travellers (that's why it's called 3-way in the US). The travellers are two wires that usually run just from one switch to the others. One switch has the permanently live (hot) wire connected to the C terminal, the other a wire running to the light fixture, only hot when both switches are in the correct position.

Swapping one traveller and the common will give just the result you described. Have a look at the switch boxes, likely the various wires will be part of different cables so you can sort-of guess what goes where. If you take pictures I can help you guess :D
I have a feeling it's that too. We have a lot of little things here and there I'm finding that are almost right, so this may be one of them. :D

I have dealt with 3-ways before, so once I can spare the time to open them up, I'll know if the issue is obvious or I'll be taking pictures. Thank you for the offer, as I may need to take you up on it, depending on what I find.

phil wrote:"The husband was a freebie from the family we bought the stove and half hoosier from a town over. "

- think I laughed so hard I peed just a little.. then I realized I read it as two sentences like this:
"The husband was a freebie from the family. We bought the stove and half hoosier from a town over. "

Oh what a difference a period can make ;-)
Phil

Well, it can, but it would be wrong in intent in this case. :P I just realized that some folks might not know about the sorts of husbands I was referring to, though, which certainly can cause such confusions. (FWIW, my husband was a freebie. His family never asked for whatever the male equivalent of a dowry is called, if such a word even exists!)

The husband in this case is a name for the harvest gold corduroy overstuffed wrap around prop pillow you can see in that one photo. (The idea being the "arms" wrap around you like a husband would when you sit in his lap.) Amazon reference: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=husband+pillow&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=22957373&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7giiu2a5qb_e

Going to try to sneak outside to take a picture before the sun sets so we do have at least one "first blizzard at Beebe" shot. We were supposed to get 18", but wound up with 13".

One light trip of stuff moved over so far today as we went over to eat some leftovers for lunch. We will try for another small run later since we forgot some kitchen stuff. Otherwise, soup again.

We are trying to see how leaving some freezer stuff in the stairwell between the cellar and the outside door works out for the short term. I think, with this weather, we'll be fine. We don't have much freezer stuff left, and none of it is meat or anything I would worry about getting freezer burned. I picked a spot in the cellar away from the boiler where I have a fridge thermometer, so I'll keep an eye on that tonight and tomorrow morning before we decide if we need to wait on moving what's left in the fridge. Again, hardly anything--just some cheeses, yogurts and condiments, really.

We bought some canned meat on sale, and were also thrilled to find soup on sale at the store today. I think we'll be just fine until we can get a fridge, since it seems the weather is going to cooperate, in a sense to help us with the last of the "didn't eat yet" stuff.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

The 'food in a cooler outside' was our go-to method when we had power outages in the winter. Rarely did we ever have to worry about any of our fresh food freezing, but we did have to plan a lot of meals to use frozen meat if the temps weren't cooperating :-)

Sounds like you are making the best of a less than stellar situation!
Etta says "WOOF"

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

The last apartment I rented had a useless nightmare landlord. Since the fridge was dead, I bought a horrible little WOODGRAIN fridge from the 70's (maybe made for RV's ?) on CL for $ 30.00. I promptly painted it with melamine paint with alkyd enamel on top and it worked fine.The fridge needed to go up a steep flight of stairs in a nightmare stairwell not even 36" wide due to railings and conduits. A bar sized fridge was an acceptable solution, though the tiny freezer was drag for ice cream storage. No way could I and a friend wrangle a regular fridge, even a small one, up those stairs. The wretched landlord wouldn't pay for a replacement fridge, either, so I wasn't going to buy a new one.

Anyhow - keep your eyes open for such an economical atrocity. It was certainly better than no fridge. I've attached before and after fridge pics. The apartment was so awful there are no before BEFORE pics. I fixed the ceiling plaster, painted the ceiling, walls, cabinet, countertops and ugly fridge. I stripped and refinished the VC tile floors, too.

In case you are wondering "Why is the stove so high ?" That's because it was propped up on 2 x4's so that it could go against the wall, which it could not without the uplift due to some stupid boxed in pipes along the floor. With no uplift it stuck out 6" from the wall which drove me nuts.

_DSC0026.JPG
_DSC0026.JPG (614.37 KiB) Viewed 1079 times

_DSC0010.JPG
_DSC0010.JPG (607.66 KiB) Viewed 1079 times