Hello from The Onion House!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Hello from The Onion House!

Post by Texas_Ranger »

What a spectacular house! I'll be following your progress gripping the edge of my desk in suspense!

One thing makes me suspect that the rear wing might have been rebuilt at some point is the concrete room you mention - I don't think concrete walls became truly popular until the early 1920s but I could be mistaken. Concrete certainly doesn't sound like 1892 though, any below-grade work would have been stone or brick back then.

TheOnionHouse
Just Arrived

Post by TheOnionHouse »

Here are a few interior photos... all of the fireplaces have been removed sadly. There are 4 brick chimneys still in place - but I am confused as to how they worked with their size/ orientation. Perhaps they were just wood burning stoves off of red brick chimneys? We are finishing the floors in the first floor currently as can tell.

Both floors are identical layouts... perhaps someone knows if that was a common thing to do back then? It seems odd to me for a single owner...

Today we started taking out the bathroom on the first floor, and found a large opening to the floor behind the tub/shower lining. It was filled in poorly and a bathroom was put in its place! From the original photo, it looks like the front door was on the east wall, and the angled opening was a window. So that is different than we originally thought!

I also just posted another post in the general category about some wallpaper we found behind the walls in the bathroom. Soooo coool....
Attachments
stair detail.JPG
stair detail.JPG (623.91 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Second floor tower room.JPG
Second floor tower room.JPG (722.24 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Second floor stairs.JPG
Second floor stairs.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 765 times
Second floor living.JPG
Second floor living.JPG (885.42 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Second floor dining.JPG
Second floor dining.JPG (1016.64 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Grille 3.JPG
Grille 3.JPG (767.9 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Grille 2.JPG
Grille 2.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 765 times
Grille 1.JPG
Grille 1.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 765 times
First Floor living.JPG
First Floor living.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 765 times

TheOnionHouse
Just Arrived

Post by TheOnionHouse »

Texas_Ranger wrote:What a spectacular house! I'll be following your progress gripping the edge of my desk in suspense!

One thing makes me suspect that the rear wing might have been rebuilt at some point is the concrete room you mention - I don't think concrete walls became truly popular until the early 1920s but I could be mistaken. Concrete certainly doesn't sound like 1892 though, any below-grade work would have been stone or brick back then.

Now that you mention it - it is a stone walled room... its been awhile since I have been down there - it creeps me out. It is most likely limestone, as that is the rest of the foundation. Now I need to go back in there and check...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well Onionhouse, the interior looks to be in pretty good shape. Lots of nice details, that's a pretty fancy newle post for the top of the stair usually the fancy one is at the bottom of the stair case. I wonder if it had a gas lamp at the top or a fancy finial?

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

What a cool home...can't wait to see more pictures.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

debi517
Just Arrived

Post by debi517 »

I lived in the Onion house, 1983 - 1986. I was on the second floor, had the attic and half the basement.

Jen O
Just Arrived

Post by Jen O »

Holy smokes that house is gorgeous! I'm drooling over all the pictures and excited to watch its transformation. I'm so happy you found this house and this house found you!