Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Post by Lily left the valley »

Nicholas wrote:So I went to Realtor.com and decided to check out this Gardner Ma, filtered to single family, and 51 years older. There are quite a few 1800's to early 1900's homes for sale. Anything from a creek to a parking lot in the back yard. Many have 1 bath but that is how people lived back then. There are a couple of as is and fix ups that caught my eye.

Many appear to be within your budget from what I have learned here, but I know hubby wants space and 2 baths.

From my looking into the past, and gaining the understanding that what I assumed to be sensible and true is not, I am more hopeful about our search moving forward. I just needed to rant about what I thought was a waste and just dumb.

Time will tell how things go! We're looking at another Cape later today.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Yes doesn't the labeling by RE agents make you furious?!? Old Houses for sale sites are the only ones who pay any real attention to the style of a house. My Folk Victorian built in 1880 was listed as a "Colonial" when I found it in the advertiser. My mother and I went the rounds as she had accused me of not really having a Victorian house that I was trying to make look like something it wasn't. All because she considered the real estate agent to be an "expert" and me brainless.
Later I found evidence of all the trim that had been hacked off. I had the fancy spindel turned porch and corbels which was not Colonial by any stretch of the imagination, and then I challenged to her how did I end up with 9ft ceilings in a common house which was a design feature in Victorian building, not Colonial. My Aunt's 300 year old house had 7ft ceilings throughout her house.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Lily left the valley

Wackyshack wrote:Yes doesn't the labeling by RE agents make you furious?!? Old Houses for sale sites are the only ones who pay any real attention to the style of a house. {snip}

I honestly can't comprehend how it's acceptable to not be required to have at least a handle on the basics. It'd be like having a used car salesman who points to a VW Bug and calls it a Volvo. :lol: I'm sure you were very satisfied when you could present your proof, congrats for that!

I realized in my searching that there's more than a few homes here that are really bungalows. Once the porches were enclosed and the entire building was vinyl coated (with many details removed or covered as well), they then get lumped into the Cape or Colonial defaults. I just need to be a bit more diligent in looking at all the offerings, which I've decided is just an inconvenience, not a problem. ;-)

I'm trying to a way to get more involved with the local historical society--I can't currently go to meetings due to the time but I'm trying to juggle my schedule. I thought there was a separate Historic Committee regarding homes, but I can't seem to find evidence of such. It seems it's a more overall focus. I'm hoping to find a few like minded folks within it who would be interested in starting an education initiative.
1. Correcting the property tax cards that need it.
2. Create and distribute an architecture primer pamplet to be made available and be a requirement for any realtor wanting to do business in Gardner.
3. Having one of their monthly education offerings be on architecture styles, using local examples as part of the lecture. The Museum has a section that rotates, so it would be great if they were to show pictures of those homes.

In our searching news, our agent found out for certain that 42 is under agreement, so we're waiting to see who pops up on the county records when the new deed is issued. Another home spouse wants to make an offer on that was only listed starting yesterday already has two offers coming in as of last night, and it had another open house today, so who knows how many will be turned in tomorrow, which is when the selling agent asked for them to be sent in. I am still a bit amazed at how the market has gone from cooling to hot in a month.

Spouse is a bit sore with me right now because I've told him the offer he wants to make will most likely not get the home with these other bidders involved. It's move in ready, 2012 boiler, includes all appliances, and the sellers are even willing to leave all the furniture at the price listed. Unless the other offers are lower flipper types, we have next to no chance of getting the home. I did, though, knowing my spouse, expect him to say "yes" to the home immediately. I had even told our agent that before we viewed it.

I know financially, it's a good move for us, but it's a 1960 MCM. I do love the style, but it's not what I want for my forever home. He knows this, and we had some serious hash outs about it. He's still standing firm. I secretly want him to finally realize he has to be more realistic about price, he thinks it's going to be smooth sailing. Maybe I'm being a fool, but I really do not believe we have a chance in Hades in getting that home for asking price.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/71-Allen-St-Gardner-MA-01440/108618461_zpid/
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

I can understand on the house that this is not your forever home. Lived for 39 years in a ranch, 24 ft wide, 58 ft long and not one interesting detail in it. The house market was hot when we bought, went sour and we were underwater for a bit, then finally when the market readjusted I ran like hell out of there in 2006.
I hate to think of what you buyers who would really love and cherish a house are going through. Compared to you my house buying venture was a sheer walk in the park. My friend Nicky lost 11 houses due to being out bid with cash offers. She had to get out of the place she was in, used up the extension she was given (her landlord was not heartless) but in the end wound up living with a family member for a month waiting to pass papers when she and her mom finally found a place.

Yes I would love to see standards set for Real Estate agents, but have found that our kind are rare. Most buyers have no imagination. (that is why they paint them all white because those who lack vision can't see past the colors or the present decorating scheme). To them it is a house and no one cares about the label it was given, it just better have stainless appliances and a center island in a huge kitchen so they have places for all the take out containers.

Any historic society you join will benefit greatly from your membership. The one in my town has so few in it I am surprised it has not disolved.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Lily left the valley

11 losses to all cash. I can't even imagine the stress! I'm glad they finally got something.

I spent a lot of time last night thinking about the implications of living there. I also thought of how I might finally get my butt in gear and do furniture restoration work as a side thing in that quite nice basement that might ease my inner older desires.

There are little tweaks I could do that would make it a bit more stylish yet still accurate (just not faithful to the tract original.) There are some details, like the rear stone patio that are great, just need a reset. The house across the way is a bit fancier in its MCM-ness, so at least I'd have that to gaze upon from the kitchen and living room. I wish the windows weren't replacement, as other homes on that street (all ranches by the same builder) still have theirs. I'd have to keep an eye on the curb for when someone else wants to redo theirs. Spouse actually said someone he worked with traded a few replacement windows for wood ones successfully.

We also have furnishings of that period, though some of our bedroom pieces are much older. The table I bought here in Gardner would fit in quite well too. (I don't know if I posted pics of that yet...)

My paternal grandparents had a classic split in PA after living in a brownstone in their earlier married years, and I do still have many fond memories from there. We don't need anything that big though, even with all our various hobbies. One neat thing is it still has the original room divider by the front door, and the inset (wavy? ribbed?) piece seemed to be in perfect shape. It's hidden from the kitchen side by that china cabinet, and I think only shows up in one of the LR images.

In the off chance we do get it, I know spouse will be happy on many levels. One thing I had forgotten was that his Nana was born an Allen, and he mentioned he liked the idea of living on such a named street. He also likes the move in ready part in spades.

The one detail I both liked and worried about was the guttering in the garage floor around the perimeter. The drive angles down, so that brought flooding worries, especially when I saw the paneling just inside the basement entrance from the garage. It's obviously bowed from moisture, although it doesn't appear stained as it would be from higher water. There's also a crack from the one basement window to the ground along that wall, which he and I are both concerned about. We know if the inspector tells us it's an issue (if things were to get that far), it might be a deal breaker.

He's willing to walk pretty easily on this one because he knows how I feel about it. I don't hate it, but it's not the dream.

I do agree that buyers and owners in general lack imagination. For many I guess as long as the roof doesn't leak, the lights come on and the shower is hot, all is well. Sometimes, it's also a question of fear of doing it wrong when you don't have a lot of extra cash on hand. I do know some folks who moved around a lot like we have, and they barely bothered changing from the realtor selling ideals because they assumed they'd just move again, and the buyers would use it as a bargaining chip to change it to X trend anyway.

As the historical society, thank you for saying so and I do hope I'll be more useful than pesky in their eyes. :P

Lily left the valley

Well, we put a bid on the ranch yesterday, and found out today that we're the backup bid.

But...both spouse and I were thrilled anyway because I found a new listing last night that took us in a direction we had talked about many times, but hadn't seen. What it lacks in land to house, and more neighborhoodly quiet than downtown bustle it makes up for in the attached business. It's in a mixed use (more commercial than not) area. It's across the street from City Hall.

A few states ago, we started making plans to someday open a comics and gaming shop. I have over 12,000 single issues and some trades and a few graphic novels I've been collecting for backstock. We have less on the gaming side, but more of that is standard like old rule books or the newer sets of whatever card games. There's also a model shop in town, so we wouldn't need to carry paint, we can send them two blocks over for that.

This place would allow us to run such, and unless business starts booming, the footprint should work just fine for the sort of traffic I expect in Gardner. Location wise, because of the city buildings across the street (also the Post Office next to City Hall) there is plenty of parking across the street. I have actually been working on a business plan for a shop here in Gardner, but we hadn't yet found a space to rent we liked. With this house, we wouldn't need that.

It is a very interesting home. Built in 1850, and the addition of the business portion at least seems to have been midcentury (even the labeled backing of the insulation in the crawl space under there looks about right for that time). They updated some of the windows in the main home then to push out wood windows--but I'm not certain if that was done then or another time. Not sure about the kitchen cabinets, but the back wall windows in the kitchen are 80's replacements. I like the older details of both periods. I think it's neat that the shop has its own feel to it that's different from the house.

The folks who bought it somewhat recently and we're guessing did the cosmetic fixes, wiring & plumbing too took a lot of plaster down in the main house. However, it seems they did so for an easier way to fix plumbing and wiring. So on that score, I can't really complain. They actually used new copper in some plumbing repairs. Some hot and cold is flexi color code, but I was surprised to see the shiny new copper too on the main incoming. It also seems trim is missing (the single wood and glass door into the living room is still there though. We tried to peek under one corner of the vinyl siding, and it looks like some sort of other siding is under there (they left the original wood around the front door in that entrance alcove). If there is, we're thinking spring to start the de plasticfication. Some of the wood windows will need some care, but that can wait too.

My camera batteries ran out, so I couldn't take any more pics than what you see here. But the listing has more photos. There was a beautifully done knee cabinet in MCM style in the main bedroom with a half height rod running down it, but camera was dead by then, so no pic. That same room has a neat little door to an unfinished part since the room was built rectangular instead of taking all the available space, so good for storage without having to climb into the small hole to the uppermost attic.

We wrote up our offer before we left, with a note if another offer comes in before tomorrow night, we can get a chance to "reconsider" (meaning, offer more.) Unlike the ranch, there was no open house (not surprising, they still had some tools about and beer in the fridge) and we were the first to see it at 3 today, so possibly we may avoid competing this time. Time will tell.

Here's some pictures before camera cranked out:

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

I have a lot of time on my hands, semi retired, so I have been following your adventure. I looked this one up including street views, and saw the pics. (Don't worry, I am not going to out bid you).

Even if the business doesn't fly, and I think it will, at least you will have a home in the heart of town, a cool existence in my opinion, especially in that village like setting. That is a cool looking little town. If the vibe feels right, then go for it, but please think it through.

Just one question, do you have a copy of "Fever Dreams" in your comic collection? It was one of my favorites and was borrowed/stolen from me along with a couple of my Furry Freak Brothers. I still have a few R. Crumb "Zap"s and Slow Death among others left over from my collecting in the early 70's.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Lily left the valley

Nicholas, I am familiar with the title, but we still have a lot of boxes I haven't even started sorting or grading. It's always been a "when we have time" thing until there was a chance the shop would actually have a chance. I made a note, though, and will keep an eye out as I continue to keep working through them.

I'm really quite happy with Gardner, and thankfully spouse is too. We knew no one here, and nothing about the town other than what internet searches, some city-data forum folks and a few insane daytrips looking for a rental yielded. Even though we haven't done as much as we'd like to here (trying to save, spouse working so much) we have found a lot of things to love here. I'm already a steady regular at the local library, and even did some volunteer time at the bookmaking community project they have going on where they're writing stories of craftsfolk who used to work in the furniture industry in its heyday here. We haven't made it back to the local museum since one of our prior to move visits, but they have lectures every month, and there's lots of other things too, theatre, regular movie theatre, various performances (some free in the summer, and family type movies too at the one park), and PARKS...holy moly do we have a lot. And, of course, all the old houses. I'm learning how to see behind the vinyl, as it were, which is kinda neat. That reminds me, I just saw an article (via oldhouseguy's site) about how Portland (OR) is trying to push an initiative where any older homes that are coming down cannot be demolished, but must be deconstructed instead so at least the bits can be of use to those who wish to restore and preserve. I added that to my "for the historical society" folder for later.

And I've digressed....surprise, surprise...

Main is a two lane artery, so it gets backed up for the usual morning/late afternoon times. I was a bit worried about noise, although most of the businesses nearby are not noisy types. When we were viewing the house, I opened a back window because early rush was just starting. The back of the house faces the parking lot for a business down a grade so next to no sound buffer as if it were a building, with Main at the curb there. The noise wasn't bad at all despite the long line of vehicles heading north to where they could start branching out towards their destinations. In fact, until I saw the line of cars as I was seeing if I could open the window, I had forgotten what time it was because there had been no obvious noise while we looked at the place. Gardner overall is quiet at night. Even the eateries (minus chains) roll up by 9/10pm.

The main reason I'm hopeful on the store is the overhead is as low as you can get, especially if I stick with just plain tables and various other shelving and racks we've picked up over the years to start. The plan I've been working on is to keep any new overhead as near zero as possible (local business registry, only handle cash for now, etc.) Gardner has quite a few small businesses already like that in town, so hopefully it will grow at its own pace and never become a deficit much beyond what I already spent (less than our earnest deposit.)

Oh! There was one interesting thing that came out of looking at that house. Our realtor apparently writes for one of the local papers as a hobby-that-pays side thing, and he said if we open the shop (there or elsewhere), he'd love to do a piece about it. Free advertising! Wooo!

As to the house, we're just waiting to hear what they say today. We're trying to not think too far ahead on anything else until we at least get an offer accepted. I don't know how eager they are to get the return on their investment, so they may ask for more time to see if they can encourage some bid warring. It is a relief to hear you haven't suddenly decided to pack up and move to Gardner to steal away our little dream of the moment. :angel:

From the conversations we've had with our mortgage agent, this house even at the top asking price we're considering if need be is well within the most conservative end of what we qualify for. We'll be doing a full home inspection, and a chimney too (I still haven't found the other fireplace, and that back chimney is crumbling at the top). Since spouse used to exterminate, we already know the obvious and not obvious places look good in that department. The actual inspector will be able to poke about a bit more for the really had to do X to see Y.

I was pretty good so far as to trying not to think too far forward just yet. The only thing I did do was trying to narrow down the possible pool of architecture styles. If you looked at the street view, you probably saw the humbler variant of Carpenter Gothic details on the multi next door (built in 1900). I like that look, although our roof isn't as severe as some I've seen for that (and the door overhang roofline doesn't match the roof above :? ), so my far off hope right now is that it'll be a long term goal for the outside work.

Now that it's getting near to 9am, it's time to wait for the phone to ring. :popcorn:

Lily left the valley

Warning: not completely awake stream of consciousness post I don't have time to edit down.

Phone rings, and I am in that sleeping stupor where you haven't had nearly enough sleep when I hear our realtor say "Congratulations! They accepted your offer."

He says something to the effect that no wonder we weren't disappointed to be the second bid for the other home, because apparently this one is going to work out, and the purchase price is much lower, and a bunch of things I'm still not quite grasping as my mind is still trying to feel awake. Then I hear him say, "You both seemed so happy to be writing up the offer for this home, unlike the other." Then he says something to the effect of this home seems more meant to be for us, and I say a bunch of words I now can't recall which are really just me agreeing in spades. I did like the ranch for a lot of reasons, but 104 is...well, a more pleasant combo of what we both want. (Bonus internet cookies for anyone who caught the pun there.)

He reminds me we have 10 days to do the inspections, says he'll send me the info on a few to add to the ones I'd looked into in case we have a hard time scheduling, and just as it seems like the phone call might be ending, I ask, "Wait, what else are we supposed to be doing now besides calling our mortgage agent?" My brain is tripping over itself trying to remember all those websites that describe the order things go in from now on, and I'm drawing a complete blank.

He then laughs good naturedly and prattles on a few things, starts doing math out loud about numbers regarding the Purchase and Sale Agreement, reminding me while waking me completely up rather suddenly, that this house buying idea we have had for what feels like ages just might actually turn into a thing that happens in the not too distant future.

In a weird way, I feel like Zonker Harris when he realized that there was absolutely nothing he could do but graduate from Walden, even after checking his math on how many credits he'd earned twice. As Mike congratulates him, Zonker ponders out loud if he might manage to fail his pottery class if he breaks a kiln, and thus avoid graduation. I'm not despondent like he was about the news--I've had that riding a bike on your own first time feeling all the time with this process. It's more that sharp realization moment, kind of like when I found myself on an altar where I honestly didn't think I'd ever be, saying words to someone I've never regretted saying them to in the 15 years and change since. This is one of those "Are you an adult?" checkboxes my family used to pound into my head as a child.

If all works out, this is the largest single purchase either of us will have made in our lives. There are still so many unexpected hiccups that can happen that we don't even know to think about yet before we might actually close so the Fates might still decide that, "Nope, not yet", so I shouldn't get too excited just in case. I know for many folks here, buying a house is no big deal. For us, for a lot of reasons, we're definitely in the big deal camp. We had some very tight times after the economy tanked. There was a long stretch where I never thought it would be possible to own a home. I still have that doubt, but it's what will also make everything feel so much the better if this does work out.

Then I think about how we might get a bit of snow here tomorrow before the rain washes it away. Then I think about how if closing gets extended, spouse will be well into the Christmas Delivery Season, or we might wind up having to close near Xmas itself, and my brain yells at me, "WHO'S THE IDIOT THAT THOUGHT BUYING IN THE FALL WAS A GOOD IDEA?" :P

I've read lots of sites. I've noted countless "what to expect when buying a home" and "what not to forgets", etc., etc. I know that the bid being accepted is still training wheels, and we have lots to do before we can ride the bike free and clear of any help.

Then it hits me that we're taking steps towards buying a home built in 1850, much older than I honestly thought I would ever find. I am so very glad that I have found this community thanks to Bungalove's suggestion on city-data.

There are so many folks who will understand a lot of what is ahead of us, though this possible future home is in way better shape than what other folks are dealing with, and I honestly don't think I could have found a niftier group of folks to know in the days ahead.

Am I excited? HELL YES. Am I terrified? HELL YES. Do I wish spouse had a job where he could have answered a phone call instead of me having to send him a text so he at least knows what's going on before he calls to tell me he's on the way home today? HELL YES.

I can't wait for spouse to get home. But I've got stuff needs doing before that. :dance: This might be a reality!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Bravo!